Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stopping Autoplay Videos on Safari!!!

On Jun 11, 2021, someone posted the question: “Is there a way on ios 14.8.1 to stop videos in Safari that plays automatically?”

Apple support suggested going to: “Settings > Accessibility > Motion > disable the option Auto-Play Video Previews.”

However, someone else noted: “…disabling the option Auto-Play Video Previews does not help at all. Every single website under my safari app will still happily play their videos even though I have this “Auto-Play Video Previews” disabled. It has always been disabled and it does nothing. It is eating up my cellular data. Can you advise something that works please?”

This is my problem as well. Apple Support has STILL NOT RESOLVED THIS ISSUE.  But if it continues, I will be forced to DELETE the Safari browser from my phone and use an alternative, because in addition to eating up data limits, IT IS ANNOYING!!!

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 1:00 PM

Revianmac, I’d be inclined to believe you, except Chrome, DuckDuckGo, and MS Edge each have their own unique quirks and very different settings from each other, and each is different from Safari.

A “skin” would suggest that the inner workings were all the same, except for outer design of each browser. That is clearly not the case here.

Furthermore, blacklisting a helpful website does not solve my issue. In this case, the offending website was CNET, a helpful site for those looking for info on all things tech.

Autoplay of videos needs to go!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2021 1:00 PM in response to Revianmac

Revianmac, I’d be inclined to believe you, except Chrome, DuckDuckGo, and MS Edge each have their own unique quirks and very different settings from each other, and each is different from Safari.

A “skin” would suggest that the inner workings were all the same, except for outer design of each browser. That is clearly not the case here.

Furthermore, blacklisting a helpful website does not solve my issue. In this case, the offending website was CNET, a helpful site for those looking for info on all things tech.

Autoplay of videos needs to go!

Nov 15, 2021 10:46 AM in response to Ferd Burfle

From my understanding, every web browser that you install from the App Store is, essentially, the Safari web browser with a manufacturer “skin” on it - Firefox skin on the Firefox browser, Opera skin on the Opera browser, etc. It may not be possible to stop auto-play of all videos.. this is why I blacklist websites that use auto play for their videos.

Stopping Autoplay Videos on Safari!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.