Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Monterey - Cannot change default unzip utility

For some reason my default unzip utility is Adobe (never works) instead of Archive Utility (always works). The Apple Communities discussion thread for this problem (2013) addressed it by saying to click on the utility, then to "open with" and then "change all" commands. But there is no "change all" command option that appears; "open with" automatically opens (or for Adobe, unsuccessfully tries to open) the .zip file, and that's it. No further command options appear. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 5:02 PM

That worked.

In less-computer-skilled pro terms, I right clicked on a .zip file, scrolled down to "get Info" option, clicked that, then a ginormously long and detailed window in scary looking code speak popped up on the L side of the screen, scrolled down that lengthy pop up screen, tip toeing past the dense code-speak language, to the "Open With" option, clicked to expand that, and set the unzip default there.

That question had stumped the IT department at my university (in their defense, they are of the MS PC/Outlook Tribe). Well done.

Thanks again!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2021 5:02 PM in response to Barney-15E

That worked.

In less-computer-skilled pro terms, I right clicked on a .zip file, scrolled down to "get Info" option, clicked that, then a ginormously long and detailed window in scary looking code speak popped up on the L side of the screen, scrolled down that lengthy pop up screen, tip toeing past the dense code-speak language, to the "Open With" option, clicked to expand that, and set the unzip default there.

That question had stumped the IT department at my university (in their defense, they are of the MS PC/Outlook Tribe). Well done.

Thanks again!

Nov 14, 2021 4:59 PM in response to jdfitzlaw

Have you tried deleting Adobe's unzip utility and then double click on a zipped file?

Or do a Spotlight search for Archive Utility.app, hold down the Option key to be taken where it's located in this folder:

Then in the Info pane under the Open with menu navigate to the System/Library/CoreServices/Applications folder and select Archive Utility.app. Then click on the Change All button.

If you don't get the Open with menu create a new archive by Control (right) - clicking on a file and selecting Compress from the contextual menu. Then go to the Info pane.

Nov 14, 2021 4:46 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, but doesn't work. There is no option for "select archive," whether under System Preferences or otherwise. The elusive "Archive Utility" only appears when right clicking to unzip a .zip file. Otherwise it is like the legendary Ivory Billed Woodpecker - rumored to exist in The System, but not to be seen.

Thanks for the try, though.

Nov 14, 2021 5:44 PM in response to jdfitzlaw

jdfitzlaw wrote:

That brings up another waring. Any time you have problems come back here and ask in the appropriate community before going to them and get their take on it. For example using anti-virus apps. Macs do absolutely do not need them and they are detrimental to their performance efficacy. Don't let them get you into using them if they haven't already done so.

Mac OS Monterey - Cannot change default unzip utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.