Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library on iCloud

how do I know if my entire macbook pro Photos library has uploaded to iCloud?

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 8:08 PM

I think the difference is the overhead (thumbnails, database files, edits, whatever else makes Photos work on the Mac, etc.). FWIW, my library on Mac is 127 GB and 106 GB in iCloud. I keep originals on the Mac (not optimized).

5 replies

Nov 14, 2021 8:01 PM in response to PT_3301

When I checked by the method muguy recommended, it looks like I have 39,258 photos and when I checked by the method clean recommended, it looks like I have 39,256 photos so I'm happy that this seems correct and is all of the photos on my old MBP. I am perplexed, however, in that I expanded my iCloud storage from 5 GB to 2 TB because it appears I have 337 GB of photos in my Photos library on my MBP (and my 750 GB hard drive is nearly full) and when I check on the amount of storage used/available on iCloud Drive, it lists 1.75 TB (out of 2 TB) available. So is the difference all related to compression of the photo data?

Photos library on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.