Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey: Photos Library.photoslibrary file won't delete

I have updated to macOS Monterey version 12.0.1 and the .photoslibrary file appears in my Bin. Every time I delete it, it reappears.

What do I need to do to get rid of it once and for all?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 9:02 AM

I successfully got rid of this bug. I deleted all my pictures in the photo app, I deleted the library in my picture folder and created a new one with a new name and then I clicked on "use as System Photo Library" like in the picture below. I then re-imported my pictures and it works like a charm! I haven't had the Photos Library.photolobrary file in my trash for three days now.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 9:02 AM in response to Spartacles

I successfully got rid of this bug. I deleted all my pictures in the photo app, I deleted the library in my picture folder and created a new one with a new name and then I clicked on "use as System Photo Library" like in the picture below. I then re-imported my pictures and it works like a charm! I haven't had the Photos Library.photolobrary file in my trash for three days now.

Hope this helps!

Dec 3, 2021 4:14 AM in response to Spartacles

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. The file named "Photos Library.photoslibrary" appears in the Bin all the time. I empty the Bin, and after a little while it is back. And it grows slowly, starting with a few MBytes and becomes several GBytes big after a while. Once, I just let it grow and it got to more than 70 GByte, despite that my Photos Library in ~/Pictures is around 50 GBytes.

This has never happened with previous versions of MacOS. This funny behaviour started when I upgraded to Monterey. I now run 12.0.1.

I have not been able to find a solution to this problem, just people answering "It is in the Bin because you put it there". That is not the case. It ends up in the Bin because there must be a bug in the Monterey OS.

My Photos Library in ~/Pictures is still intact, so this is not catastrophic, just annoying.

Cheers,

Geir

Nov 20, 2021 5:39 AM in response to Spartacles

Spartacles wrote:

I have updated to macOS Monterey version 12.0.1 and the .photoslibrary file appears in my Bin. Every time I delete it, it reappears.

What do I need to do to get rid of it once and for all?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/69c5e1d0-e23e-40fb-97ff-653122f53892

What is the complete path to your "Bin" ...?

Finder>Go>Go to Folder... it is here I can copy and paste your complete path, in an effort to see the issue(?)

Typically your Photos data base is located here, Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy&paste:

~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary

Not sure why you would want to delete your Photos...

Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

macOS Monterey: Photos Library.photoslibrary file won't delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.