Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant delete phtots under ~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails

Hi team,

MAC storage shows that photos is taking large volume, however I really dont have photos.

After some research i can see the source is coming from ~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/ which is containing a lot of photos.

When trying to delete it does not move to trash ( may be cause this is hidden ?? ) .

I need help with deleting the content of this file.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 15, 2019 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2019 10:22 AM

You cannot delete the subfolders of the Photos Library. They are needed to browse your photos in Photos for Mac.

What you can delete is the complete Photos Library, but only after quitting Photos for Mac . If you really do not have any photos in your Photos Library try to delete: ~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary

But this would delete all photos you are seeing in Photos.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2019 10:22 AM in response to Alaa.Abdalmoniem

You cannot delete the subfolders of the Photos Library. They are needed to browse your photos in Photos for Mac.

What you can delete is the complete Photos Library, but only after quitting Photos for Mac . If you really do not have any photos in your Photos Library try to delete: ~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary

But this would delete all photos you are seeing in Photos.

cant delete phtots under ~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.