Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder actions relating to files stored on our Windows servers is excruciatingly slow

I upgraded to Monterey 12.0.1 as soon as it became available. The biggest issue I'm having is that many Finder actions relating to files stored on our Windows servers is excruciatingly slow. In particular, renaming a file or folder takes a ridiculously long time to take effect. Sometimes the finder reports that the action couldn't be completed (even though it often did eventually succeed).

I've never had this problem before with any other OS Update. This is a first for me.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 9:06 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 16, 2021 9:25 AM in response to Deebers

Hello Deebers,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that delay with renaming files and folders on your Windows servers via Finder.

Does restarting your Mac have any impact on that behavior, even if only temporarily?

Does that behavior still persist while in safe mode? How to use safe mode on your Mac It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. Testing in safe mode can help isolate conflicts with startup items or cached files.

How about if you create a new user account and test from there? Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac That may help determine if this is a system-wide or user-specific conflict.

Take care.

Nov 18, 2021 2:54 AM in response to chuckbl

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me.

• Restarting the Mac makes no difference.
  • Creating a new user account - either Administrator or Standard - makes no difference.
  • Booting up in Safe Mode makes no difference.

Now that I have had some time to get to know the error, I can tell you the following:

1. I am using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), with Monterey installed.
  2. I am working on a Windows network via ethernet, connecting via smb:// IP addresses.
  3. It takes approximately 31 seconds for a folder to rename. It remains as 'untitled folder' before it changes (although you need to step back and forward again to see that it hasn't renamed your folder). While the system is thinking about changing the folder name, you cannot do any Finder-related tasks and you are locked out from doing anything. After 31 seconds, you get a message which says: "An unexpected error occurred (error code -43)" and then it changes the folder name.
  4. You get the same result in Safe Mode but no error message.
  5. I've also noticed I cannot double-click a file to open within that folder. I have to open it via the app.
  6. I tried deleting the finder preferences but it made no difference.
  7. There have been one or two instances where I cannot save a PDF in the folder I am working in (I am a graphic designer who uses Adobe Creative Cloud).
  8. I am still to try to see if I have the same problem connecting via VPN using my 2019 MacBook Pro at home.
  9. This is the first time I've ever had any problems with a software update.

I am scratching my head on this one. I can usually get any Mac-related problems sorted very quickly and I am surprised that I haven't come across many other similar issues on the web.

I am hoping it's a problem that might be fixed in the next Monterey update, otherwise I'll be reverting back to Big Sur!

Thanks in advance.

Nov 22, 2021 5:01 AM in response to Deebers

(Updated - I am currently discussing this problem with someone at Apple Support who has tried to replicate the problem using the same actions on a Windows server at his end, and he has not managed to get the same problem. Saying that, he could not replicate the same result. He could see via screen sharing on my Mac how this is happening on my current set-up. Our Windows servers have been partitioned and expanded quite extensively over the years, so it's quite a complex set-up! It has been suggested that I re-install Monterey, but I can't see how that will work given the fact that I've also had the same problem with another computer. I will continue to update)

• Restarting the Mac makes no difference.
  • Creating a new user account - either Administrator or Standard - makes no difference.
  • Booting up in Safe Mode makes no difference.
  • I tried deleting the finder preferences but it made no difference.
  • I tried using a completely separate 2019 MacBook Pro (with the same version of Monterey) and connecting via VPN but it made no difference.

Now that I have had some time to get to know the error, I can tell you the following:

1. I am using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), with Monterey installed.
  2. I am working on a Windows network via ethernet, connecting via smb:// IP addresses.
  3. It takes approximately 31 seconds for a folder to rename. It remains as 'untitled folder' before it changes (although you need to step back and forward again to see that it hasn't renamed your folder). While the system is thinking about changing the folder name, you cannot do any Finder-related tasks and you are locked out from doing anything. After 31 seconds, you get a message which says: "An unexpected error occurred (error code -43)" and then it changes the folder name.
  4. You get the same result in Safe Mode but no error message.
  5. I've also noticed I cannot double-click a file to open within that folder. I have to open it via the app.
  6. There have been one or two instances where I cannot save a PDF in the folder I am working in (I am a graphic designer who uses Adobe Creative Cloud).
  7. This is the first time I've ever had any problems with a software update.

I am scratching my head on this one. I can usually get any Mac-related problems sorted very quickly and I am surprised that I haven't come across many other similar issues on the web.

I am hoping it's a problem that might be fixed in the next Monterey update, otherwise I'll be reverting back to Big Sur!

Thanks in advance.

Finder actions relating to files stored on our Windows servers is excruciatingly slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.