Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data Transfer

I have two older Macs, one is a 15 inch Mid 2014 running High Sierra. It originally came with Mavericks OS 10.9. Currently, this is my main computer.

Mac #2 is a 17 inch, early 2009 running Mavericks, OS 10.9.5. I need to keep this OS to run the older version of Pages which has a feature that the new Pages no longer has.

I intend to purchase one of the new M1 Pro or M1 Max Laptops and transfer the files from the older 17 inch to the the 15 inch and get rid of the older 17 inch. Transferring data between computers is going to be somewhat complex. This is the procedure I intend to use.

(1) The first step is straightforward. Transfer the 15 inch contents to the new M1 computer using Migration Assistant. The only unknown at this point is how to connect the two computers. I could use WiFi which will take a long time or I could search for a cable with the right connectors.

(2) Step 2 is the problem step, wiping the 15 inch MacBook clean and transferring the files from the 17 inch to the 15 inch.

(3) And finally, wiping the 17 inch clean before shipping it to Apple for recycling.

I am not sure of how to do Step 2. Could someone please suggest a step-by-step procedure?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 4:40 PM

Wipe the 2014 using Recovery and install the oldest available and which (best case) gets you Mavericks (all this via Recovery), and use migration assistant or (at install time) setup assistant.

macOS prior to High Sierra is going to have network connectivity issues, and those issues will only increase.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2021 4:40 PM in response to AppleProductsPurchased

Wipe the 2014 using Recovery and install the oldest available and which (best case) gets you Mavericks (all this via Recovery), and use migration assistant or (at install time) setup assistant.

macOS prior to High Sierra is going to have network connectivity issues, and those issues will only increase.

Nov 15, 2021 3:25 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for the response.

I want 2014 to end up as the current 2009 including the Mavericks OS. It currently is running HIgh Sierra which will no longer be in use at the end. So, rephrasing my original post using your terminology:

1. 2014 goes to the new M1 using Migration Assistant. (I could use the backup as you suggest.}
  2. 2009 needs to replace what is currently on 2014, This is the part I don't know how to do.
  3. 2009 gets wiped clean and sent to Apple for recycling.

There is no High Sierra at the end.

Nov 15, 2021 2:35 PM in response to AppleProductsPurchased

0: have external backups of everything.

1: use migration assistant during the setup of 2021, importing (migrating) from the backup of 2014.

2: boot 2014 into recovery, erase 2014, install macOS High Sierra, use Migration Assistant and the backup of 2009.

I usually use external backups for the transfer; importing (migrating) from Time Machine backups works, as can importing (migrating) from an external cloned disk. I usually don’t have the right mix of old and new cables around for a direct transfer. And (per step 0) usually do have backups around.

Data Transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.