Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts from iPhone not syncing to iCloud or Mac

The contacts on my iPhone will not sync to iCloud or my MacBook Air. I've checked that the sync to iCloud in my phone settings is turned on. When I log into iCloud it says everything is synced across all my devices, but it does not show all of my contacts, only a list from years ago. I'm nervous to restore anything from iCloud because I'm worried it will replace the contacts on my phone with the old list, when I want to do the opposite.

I want to be able to use the Messages feature on my MacBook but it doesn't have my complete list of contacts so it's showing numbers that are saved in my phone as though they aren't contacts, just the phone numbers.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 4:53 PM

3 replies

Nov 16, 2021 12:32 PM in response to audsp

Hi audsp,

It sounds like your contacts aren't syncing from your iPhone to your Mac from the Contacts App. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we can provide some assistance.

How do you have contacts set up? First, check on your iPhone in Settings > Contacts > Accounts and see which accounts say the word "Contacts" in small grey text under each account listed there. This will help you to locate your contacts. Oftentimes it's iCloud that's managing them, but not always, so it's best to double-check this. 

If you confirm that iCloud is managing your contacts, and you think you may have deleted them, follow the steps in If you accidentally deleted your calendars, bookmarks, or contacts from iCloud. This link will guide you through the steps on how to recover contacts that were stored in iCloud. 

If you use a third-party service, such as an email provider to manage your contacts, you'll want to follow the advice in the section, "Add Contacts from third-party accounts" in Set up and use iCloud Contacts

If the issue remains after following those steps, let us know if it was an iCloud account or another type of account managing your contacts.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Nov 21, 2021 6:30 AM in response to audsp

Hi audsp,

Is iCloud managing your contacts or is it another service? What did you find exactly when you followed the steps in, "Add Contacts from third-party accounts" in Set up and use iCloud Contacts.

Have you had the chance to double-check your Contact apps settings on your Mac? Follow the steps in the section "Add an account you already use on your Mac" in Add contacts from iCloud, Google, and more to Contacts on Mac. You'll want to make sure that the checkbox is enabled for each account you use.

If the issue remains, let us know which services are managing your contacts and which steps you tried from above.

Best!

Nov 18, 2021 3:44 PM in response to barberlives123

Hi barberlives123,

Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the issue. I checked my settings like you suggested and contact were showing up under all my accounts. The problem I'm experiencing is that the phone numbers I have saved in my phone are not syncing with my messages app on my other devices. So if someone texts me, I see the name of the person texting me in my phone but their name does not show up in the messages app on my computer.

Contacts from iPhone not syncing to iCloud or Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.