Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I upgrade my High Sierra OS to Catalina? I have a Macbook Pro 2014 with Retina display.

How can I upgrade my High Sierra OS to Catalina? I have a Macbook Pro 2014 with Retina display.

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 5:45 PM

First make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS just in case something goes wrong.

Next make sure all your third party apps are 64 bit since Catalina no longer supports 32 bit apps. If you still use 32 bit apps, then see if there are any updates or newer versions of those 32 bit apps and update those apps to 64 bits. If you have any 32 bit third party apps that don't have 64 bit versions available, then it is best to uninstall them by following the developer's instructions before you upgrade macOS.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

You can find links to various macOS installers within this Apple article including optional instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You should always have frequent and regular backups.

Edit: A 2014 laptop can run up to macOS 11.x Big Sur.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2021 5:45 PM in response to bethlinge

First make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS just in case something goes wrong.

Next make sure all your third party apps are 64 bit since Catalina no longer supports 32 bit apps. If you still use 32 bit apps, then see if there are any updates or newer versions of those 32 bit apps and update those apps to 64 bits. If you have any 32 bit third party apps that don't have 64 bit versions available, then it is best to uninstall them by following the developer's instructions before you upgrade macOS.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

You can find links to various macOS installers within this Apple article including optional instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You should always have frequent and regular backups.

Edit: A 2014 laptop can run up to macOS 11.x Big Sur.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.