Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 15 disable split screen

How do I disable split screen on IOS 15 on iPad?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 6:49 PM

I hate the new split screen feature and not being able to disable. I am constantly on the phone with my 85 year old mom trying to get her out of split screen. You have done a disservice not thinking of older people using iPads. Please make this feature able to disable. Very annoying

136 replies

Jan 19, 2022 8:29 AM in response to Mdunderwood1

It isn't only "old people". My young ASD son is daily accidentally tapping that blasted split screen ellipse and messing up his work ( as do I for that matter!) and I don't know how to get him out of the mess. I'm sure I have all manner of battery-draining nonsense open because of the split screen garbage. It's an absurd feature to be permanently placed so prominently, so easily mistakenly used, and impossible to disable. Please, Apple, provide a disable in future updates.

Nov 16, 2021 8:17 AM in response to seewill

Unlike iPadOS14 and earlier versions, multi-tasking and associated views cannot now be disabled from settings. Multi-tasking has received a significant overhaul, both simplifying its use and introducing new controls.

Key to accessing and controlling multi-tasking is the small “three-dot” button that is found at the top-centre edge of the screen.

More information about using multi-tasking can be found in this support page:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is also a rich source of information about using iPad and its many features. The Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

Jan 8, 2022 8:12 AM in response to seewill

I like the idea of split screen, but find that the way I use my iPad mini 6, all it does is accidentally start and is not a function I wish to use or need to use in my workflow.

I understand it being on automatically, but removing the option to disable a feature that may not be useful or makes the product harder to use causes unnecessary frustration and a poorer user experience.

As a mini 6 user who is also aware this product is often used by pilots etc. this seems like a potentially dangerous feature if it accidentally is triggered at the wrong time.

Dec 21, 2021 11:25 AM in response to elaine.keagle

elaine.keagle wrote:

I'm working on the new mini with an Apple Pencil. Love them both.

Here's the huge downer: when I'm writing in the safari URL field I invariably activate split screen, it drives me crazy. Don't need split screen on my tiny iPad-- can't deactivate.

Give me an out, Apple. Please.

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Other than the site Moderators, Apple do not monitor or participate here.

Apple do invite submission of constructive comments and feature requests via their Product Feedback portal. This is perhaps the more appropriate channel through which to communicate your request:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Apr 12, 2022 4:57 PM in response to TomTerrific1234

Hello again ~ What exactly is it that you would like for us to do about this actually? We have kindly and technically explained to you that we are fellow forum users that volunteer our time to help with issues or problems with Apple devices. We cannot however make any changes to the device design or it’s operating systems. We have repeatedly and graciously pointed you in the right direction to voice your concerns to Apple. I am using the split screen right now in fact with no issues whatsoever and will be one to complain if and or when the feature is removed. I would encourage you once more to learn to use the feature until or even if it is changed:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

~Katana-San~

Apr 29, 2022 10:29 AM in response to MrRabiez

MrRabiez wrote:

But not everyone wants multitasking, specially when it drives IPad users insane whenever their apps have buttons in the exact same place. Please just add the feature to deactivate it back, because it’s straight up annoying for a lot of people, and anything but an improvement

As no one participating in this thread can make any changes in this, I suggest you tell Apple how you feel:

Product Feedback - Apple

IOS 15 disable split screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.