Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Light Mode Looks Like Dark Mode

I found my iMac shut off when I got home tonight. This was probably due to a power glitch during the day as we had high winds most of the day. It powered up with the desktop looking like dark mode, but when I checked the system preferences I see that light mode is selected. When I switch between the two, the only changes I see are that the the pop up windows go to a black background and the dock and the command bar go from gray with black text to black with white text. The desktop image looks exactly the same in either mode.

As luck would have it, I don't like dark mode and I want it to go away...

Any ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Andy

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 2:40 PM

Hi Andrew Hall!

It sounds like you would like to change the way dark and light modes behave, and we're happy to help. For your wallpaper, you may have it set to either automatic, dynamic or dark and can change it to light mode. You can read more about this here:

Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac

For other feedback you may have about the way these features work on your Mac, you can let Apple know using this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2021 2:40 PM in response to Andrew Hall

Hi Andrew Hall!

It sounds like you would like to change the way dark and light modes behave, and we're happy to help. For your wallpaper, you may have it set to either automatic, dynamic or dark and can change it to light mode. You can read more about this here:

Change the desktop picture (background) on your Mac

For other feedback you may have about the way these features work on your Mac, you can let Apple know using this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

Cheers!

Nov 20, 2021 11:41 AM in response to Jeff_W.

Thanks for helping me with this. I was able to get my old desktop picture back again and all is good. For what it's worth, I didn't realize that there was a desktop picture available that looks dark in either mode. And I still don't know how the desktop changed in the first place.

Since this change showed up after a power outage, a friend I work with suggested that maybe the PRAM battery is starting to fail. The computer is about 8 years old and has never had the battery replaced. Maybe it is time for that.

Mojave Light Mode Looks Like Dark Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.