Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Finder runs in light mode while everything else runs in Dark Mode. WTH?

My iMac is running is Dark Mode but for some reason, Finder windows show up in Light Mode. How do I change the Finder to run in Dark Mode also?

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 20, 2019 2:50 PM

10 replies

Jun 25, 2019 10:21 AM in response to paterjt

NightOwl will set the Dark Mode for all apps.

Log into another user account on your Mac and see if you get the same problem with the Finder.

If so then boot into your user account, download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what's causing the problem..

Jun 25, 2019 8:33 AM in response to paterjt

Also try resetting the NVRAM if you have not already. If you don't have experience with this reset the instructions are in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063.

It also may be necessary to install Mac OS via the Recovery Partition. This type of install does not affect your data, settings or apps. In the event you had a corrupt install this type of install will "fill in" any missing portions. If you choose to do this, ALWAYS ensure you have a complete backup of your system as insurance.

Jun 25, 2019 8:17 AM in response to dialabrain

I downloaded NightOwl and installed the program. NightOwl only has the option to make a program run in Light mode while everything runs in Dark mode. My problem is that everything is running in Dark mode except when opening a Finder window. Finder windows always display in Light mode and I want it to display in Dark mode like everything else.

Mac Finder runs in light mode while everything else runs in Dark Mode. WTH?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.