Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect external NTFS drive after upgrade to Monterey

I just upgraded my iMac (late 2015 model) to Monterey over the weekend and now the drive doesn't appear on the Desktop or Finder sidebar when I connect it. I didn't have any issues previously when I was using Catalina and Big Sur and I could copy files from it. I checked System Information > USB > USB 3.0 Bus, and it doesn't appear in the list of devices.

When I connect the same drive to my MacBook Pro (13" 2017 model) that's also on same release of Monterey, the drive shows up no problems. In System Information > USB > USB 3.1 Bus

I noticed it was appearing under USB 3.1 Bus > USB 3.0 Hub in the MacBook Pro, where as in the iMac there is only USB 3.0 Bus.

I actually want to copy files onto it but that's another matter. Can someone please help?

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 6:49 AM

stan_225 wrote:

I just upgraded my iMac (late 2015 model) to Monterey over the weekend and now the drive doesn't appear on the Desktop or Finder sidebar when I connect it. I didn't have any issues previously when I was using Catalina and Big Sur and I could copy files from it. I checked System Information > USB > USB 3.0 Bus, and it doesn't appear in the list of devices.

When I connect the same drive to my MacBook Pro (13" 2017 model) that's also on same release of Monterey, the drive shows up no problems. In System Information > USB > USB 3.1 Bus

I noticed it was appearing under USB 3.1 Bus > USB 3.0 Hub in the MacBook Pro, where as in the iMac there is only USB 3.0 Bus.

I actually want to copy files onto it but that's another matter. Can someone please help?

Update your thiird party supporting software for NTFS r/w

ex.

tuxera

Paragon

etc...

search their Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201777

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2021 6:49 AM in response to stan_225

stan_225 wrote:

Update your thiird party supporting software for NTFS r/w

ex.

tuxera

Paragon

etc...

search their Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201777

Nov 16, 2021 6:13 PM in response to lllaass

Yes I am. It's an external SSD drive with a short USB-A 3.0 cable (the one with the blue plastic part). I am plugging it directly into the iMac's USB-A ports.

For the MacBook Pro, since it only has USB-C ports, I plug the same short USB-A 3.0 cable from the SSD drive to the HyperDrive USB-C Hub that I have. The hub has 2 x USB-A 3.0 ports, 2 x Lightning ports SD Card reader and HDMI port. I plug the cable into one of the hub's USB-A 3.0 port.

Can't connect external NTFS drive after upgrade to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.