Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full storage

I am using a MacBook Air. I am deleting files since my laptop is no longer working well due to full storage. I checked the apps that's taking so much space and my iMovie is taking up 2GB of my storage. I am checking if I have saved movies or files that I can delete but when I check the actual used storage its taking is 100MB more or less. Please help me what to do? Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 9:19 AM

Hi,

To free up some space go to iMovie/Preferences and then, in the preferences box that appears, click on Delete to delete the render files in the preferences box that appears.

When one has storage space problems the best thing to do is purchase an external drive and transfer some of your files to it.

To store an iMovie library on an external drive, the drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. I believe that the same holds true for a Photos app library. A safe practice is to have two external drives so you can keep double backups.

I would leave your iMovie app on your computer's internal drive.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2021 9:19 AM in response to ethelisa

Hi,

To free up some space go to iMovie/Preferences and then, in the preferences box that appears, click on Delete to delete the render files in the preferences box that appears.

When one has storage space problems the best thing to do is purchase an external drive and transfer some of your files to it.

To store an iMovie library on an external drive, the drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. I believe that the same holds true for a Photos app library. A safe practice is to have two external drives so you can keep double backups.

I would leave your iMovie app on your computer's internal drive.

-- Rich

Full storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.