Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have set up purchased app sharing for both iPhones. The iPhones both have their own Apple ID. All purchased apps are on my ID. On the other phone, some updates go smoothly, but many others prompt for Apple ID password. Does other user need my PW?

How can I correct this issue? Does the family member’s phone ever need to have my password?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 7:40 AM

Hello TTN9235S,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's our understanding that a Family Sharing device is prompted for your Apple ID when trying to update apps. We can see how this could be concerning. We're happy to help.

Family Sharing members do not need your Apple ID password in order to update apps. It sounds like the device may have been signed in to your Apple ID when the apps in question were downloaded. Apps are tied to the Apple ID that was used to download the app. When updating you must use the password for the Apple ID that was used to install the app. To avoid this issue you can delete the apps in question and follow the steps below to download from family purchases: How to download apps and content that your family members purchased

Have a nice day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 7:40 AM in response to TTN9235S

Hello TTN9235S,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's our understanding that a Family Sharing device is prompted for your Apple ID when trying to update apps. We can see how this could be concerning. We're happy to help.

Family Sharing members do not need your Apple ID password in order to update apps. It sounds like the device may have been signed in to your Apple ID when the apps in question were downloaded. Apps are tied to the Apple ID that was used to download the app. When updating you must use the password for the Apple ID that was used to install the app. To avoid this issue you can delete the apps in question and follow the steps below to download from family purchases: How to download apps and content that your family members purchased

Have a nice day!

I have set up purchased app sharing for both iPhones. The iPhones both have their own Apple ID. All purchased apps are on my ID. On the other phone, some updates go smoothly, but many others prompt for Apple ID password. Does other user need my PW?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.