Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Max MacBook Pro very slow internet response

I just replaced my old MBP with a new 14" M1 model, running macOS 12 Monterey. It sits in the same place and connects to the same home wifi network. Even after restarts, it will usually take a minute or more to load a web page or update/send mail with Apple Mail. Even when a page loads, it may load incompletely, and links within the page are similarly slow. Often, Safari and Mail will time out due to lack of server response.

I know the problem is with the new MacBook or Monterey, as it was not present on the old one, the wifi settings are the same, and every other Mac and i-device on the home network runs as usual. In fact, I had to move to my iMac in order to connect with Communities just to post this query!

What I'm not certain of is whether I had updated the old MBP to Monterey before I wiped it, reinstalled the OS, and sent it back to Apple in trade for the new one, but I believe I had. If so, the problem is clearly with some aspect of the new MacBook.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 7:29 AM

Hold own the Option key while you click on the Wi-FI Icon on the menubar. This gets you access to Wireless Diagnostics, which can meeker some suggestions. If no joy, screenshot or transcribe the snapshot that appears there. looks like this older one:

also, how many networks do you see?

Similar questions

16 replies

Nov 21, 2021 9:48 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Many users get some relief by setting their Router to do "automatic" channel selection. This means that when the Router powers up, it sniffs the airwaves for other networks, and chooses the channel with the least competition.

It is not an accident that every debugging procedure starts with "cycle the power On-Off-On to your Router". If set to "Auto", this would cause it to select the least-busy channel and may fix many issues all by itself.

Nov 21, 2021 8:50 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yeah, I was kinda just venting about the hardware. But this is a new machine, configured from the perfectly performing old one by Time Machine 10 days ago, and was misbehaving in this respect from the very start. I'm puzzled how it might have picked up interfering software almost instantly. Or perhaps it's something that was carried over but wasn't affecting the old machine. And now, half an hour later, it's performing quite normally. This intermittency is the usual pattern.

I'm not using a virus scanner. I'll restart in Safe Mode next time this occurs.

Here's a couple of screen shots. The additional networks belong to neighbors, except for the Arris, which might be generated by our cable modem. It's in the basement and across the house from the laptop, so it's not strong.

I do appreciate your helping me out!

Nov 16, 2021 7:34 AM in response to hlritter

A very common debugging technique when such issues arise is to start up in Safe Mode. Safe Mode does one pass Disk Repair, so it take five minutes or so extra. Your user-id and password are required, even if you normally auto-login. Safe Mode loads a minimal set of Apple-only extensions and does not load graphics acceleration Drivers. Safe Mode takes defaults for as many settings as possible.

"Works in Safe Mode, fails in regular Mode" implies "it's something you added.

Nov 16, 2021 8:44 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I'll try both of your suggestions the next time I encounter the problem, which may well be the next time I awaken the MacBook from sleep. Something that I failed to add in my original post is that after a seemingly random length of time, minutes to an hour or more, the wifi/internet response becomes normal.

I don't have much hope for Network Diagnostics, as the other Macs and devices on the same network, including an HP Windows machine, have no difficulties.

Nov 20, 2021 8:29 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The problem got to the point where not only was internet service slow and erratic, but the laptop would not print over a wifi-connected printer and began to drop connections with the network – despite being three feet from one node of my home mesh network. Meanwhile, in our home an iMac, a different MacBook, a Windows laptop, four iPads, two iPhones, a HomePod and a cluster of Sonos components continued to work with the network just fine, and the ones that access the internet continued to do so at normal speeds.

In desperation, I reinstalled Monterey. The progress bar told me it would take 11+ hours, suggesting very slow data rates. I then connected the MacBook to my cable modem with an Ethernet cable and the time soon dropped to 5+ hours. Two hours later I came back and the computer was ready to go. These behaviors convinced me that the problem was with the MacBook, probably with connecting to wifi but perhaps more fundamentally with handling data through whatever port interfaces with a network, either wifi or Ethernet.

Now the problem seems to be no more. Web pages load immediately and fully. Emails open instantly. It appears that reinstalling the OS has solved the problem.

Thank you for the suggestions about the network, but the problem seems to have lain elsewhere.

Nov 21, 2021 7:56 AM in response to hlritter

Well, I was wrong. This morning the laptop dropped the wifi connection, wouldn't reconnect until I commanded it to, loads web pages glacially slowly despite all three bars of signal strength, and needed at least four minutes to get to this page once I typed "discussions" in the address bar.

I can only conclude that the hardware is defective. I'm going to take it to the Apple Store, if they're physically open, and failing resolution, will avail myself of the satisfaction guarantee of replacement or refund...if there is one. I have never done this with an Apple product in 36 years of being a user of countless Apple devices, but this is ridiculous. My brand-new MacBook is effectively unusable as an internet portal and therefore useless to me.

Nov 21, 2021 8:19 AM in response to hlritter

<< I can only conclude that the hardware is defective. >>

that is the LEAST likely issue of all possible solutions, especially if you have "Three bars"

as a check against Third-party software that was added (intentionally or not), restart is Safe Mode. Safe Mode does not load any third-party add-ons.

"Works in Safe Mode, fails in Regular mode" implies "it's something you added".

Check your configuration for any Proxies or any added VPN software, even if not activated. Remove them. Remove any third-party Virus Scanners, as these are know to ineptly break into your communications and mess it up.

Nov 21, 2021 9:47 AM in response to hlritter

you have made connection of the very crowded 2.4GHz band on channel 11 using 802.11n. Using two antennas, your are sending 64-patterns per signaling interval, using two of your three antennas to get a speed of 'only' 130 Mbits/sec. Based on the number of other networks seen, your 2.4GHz band may be crowded, leading to intermittent performance based on what others around you are doing.

You have an excellent Raw signal (RSSI) of -55, typical of being right next to your Router. with noise at -95, you have signal-to-noise of 95-55 yield 40, truly Excellent. Your Hardware appears to be working fine under the difficult circumstances.

The Router you are connecting to -- is it capable of 5GHz operation?

You could potentially get a connection up to two or more times faster on the 5GHz band, if your Router could provide it. 5Ghz falls off more rapidly with distance than 2.4GHz, but since you are right next to your Router, you would get a very strong signal with a more modern Router.

Nov 21, 2021 9:54 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I restarted in Safe Mode, and the MacBook is flying through the web pages. Whether that's the erratic behavior I've been experiencing, or due to excluding something with Safe Mode, I can't tell. Need to do this more often for an adequate sample size.

My home system is a Linksys Velop mesh network that operates on 3 bands. I'll dive into its app to see if I can command it to 5GHz. Now I'm wondering why I don't see my router's 5GHz network on the list. I've seen multiple networks from my home router listed in the past, as Guest and on both bands, but not sure I have since I installed the Linksys.

Thanks again for the analysis and suggestions.

Nov 22, 2021 5:40 AM in response to hlritter

At first it looked like Safe Mode avoided the problem, but after alternating back and forth between it and normal mode, it was not entirely clear that slow response was never seen in Safe Mode, or as before, not always seen in normal mode.

Then I twiddled with my mesh network in the Linksys app and now normal mode seems to be humming along, I verified that the MacBook is now on the 5GHz network, with S/N about 55 db. Thanks for teaching me how to evaluate this.

Is there a way to show what non-Apple extensions Safe Mode does not install, in case I have to more sleuthing?

Nov 24, 2021 4:17 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Just a bit! Up from 130Mb/s to 866. Normal performance continues without resort to Safe Mode.

Thanks again for helping me sort this out. Nothing in my experience would lead me to believe that the lousy performance I was experiencing could come solely from being on an otherwise normally performing 2.4GHz network, but forcing the router to switch to 5GHz was the point at which the problem vanished, so...

M1 Max MacBook Pro very slow internet response

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.