Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System cannot be restored on this device

The operation couldn’t be completed. (AMRestoreErrorDomain error -1 - Failed to handle message type StatusMsg (Generic error)) [AMRestoreErrorDomain – 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (-1) [sys = 0x3F, sub = 0xFFF, code = 0x3FFF (16383)]]

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 6:27 PM

Hi uk5am,

You're correct that restoring your Mac in DFU mode should resolve personalization errors. The restore process should be fail-safe and work regardless of what software condition the Mac is in. (Hardware or Internet issues can cause restore errors, though.)

Use the steps in this article to revive or restore your M1 MacBook Pro: Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support (CA)

A couple of things that can prevent restore errors:

• Make sure that your bricked Mac is truly in DFU mode. When it is, your healthy Mac will display a large dotted DFU square in Apple Configurator 2.

• Use the USB-C to USB-C charge cable that came with your bricked Mac. Any other USB-C to USB-C cable should work as well, but I've never experienced issues with the original charge cable.

• If your Internet connection is slow or unreliable, try downloading the IPSW restore file in advance, as described below:

1. Go to ipsw.me and select your Mac model.
  2. Select the latest signed IPSW, then click Download. (This particular site is safe; the download link fetches the restore file directly from Apple servers. To verify this, right-click the Download button, and select Copy Link. Paste it into a new tab; it should start with: https://updates.cdn-apple.com)
  3. Once the 14 GB IPSW file is downloaded on your Mac, put your bricked Mac into DFU mode and open Apple Configurator 2.
  4. Drag the IPSW file onto the DFU rectangle in Apple Configurator 2. You'll then have the option to restore or revive that Mac.
  5. Apple Configurator 2 will skip the download process and immediately start restoring or reviving your bricked Mac.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 6:27 PM in response to uk5am

Hi uk5am,

You're correct that restoring your Mac in DFU mode should resolve personalization errors. The restore process should be fail-safe and work regardless of what software condition the Mac is in. (Hardware or Internet issues can cause restore errors, though.)

Use the steps in this article to revive or restore your M1 MacBook Pro: Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support (CA)

A couple of things that can prevent restore errors:

• Make sure that your bricked Mac is truly in DFU mode. When it is, your healthy Mac will display a large dotted DFU square in Apple Configurator 2.

• Use the USB-C to USB-C charge cable that came with your bricked Mac. Any other USB-C to USB-C cable should work as well, but I've never experienced issues with the original charge cable.

• If your Internet connection is slow or unreliable, try downloading the IPSW restore file in advance, as described below:

1. Go to ipsw.me and select your Mac model.
  2. Select the latest signed IPSW, then click Download. (This particular site is safe; the download link fetches the restore file directly from Apple servers. To verify this, right-click the Download button, and select Copy Link. Paste it into a new tab; it should start with: https://updates.cdn-apple.com)
  3. Once the 14 GB IPSW file is downloaded on your Mac, put your bricked Mac into DFU mode and open Apple Configurator 2.
  4. Drag the IPSW file onto the DFU rectangle in Apple Configurator 2. You'll then have the option to restore or revive that Mac.
  5. Apple Configurator 2 will skip the download process and immediately start restoring or reviving your bricked Mac.

Nov 16, 2021 2:44 PM in response to uk5am

Is there any particular reason you're using Configurator 2 to restore?

"Apple Configurator 2 makes it easy to deploy iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Apple TV devices in your school or business.

Use Apple Configurator 2 to quickly configure large numbers of devices connected to your Mac via USB with the settings, apps, and data you specify for your students, employees, or customers."

What device is having a problem and what are you trying to restore?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

EDIT: I found this interesting: https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-configurator-2/revive-or-restore-an-intel-based-mac-apdebea5be51/mac

Nov 19, 2021 2:52 PM in response to uk5am

Hi uk5am,

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you might need to get your Mac serviced by Apple. A component on the logic board or M1 chip might be at fault.

Macs with the T2 Security Chip (and probably yours as well) can only really be serviced by Apple for the time being. If a replacement part is put in, it must be paired to the Secure Enclave inside your Mac before your Mac will successfully start up.

I'm really hoping that Apple's new self service program lets us (end-users) be able to complete these repairs later on for a much lower price.

Nov 18, 2021 7:38 AM in response to uk5am

Hi Encryptor5000

The error message is the same and on the MacBook the Apple logo and the bar stops at around 80%.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (AMRestoreErrorDomain error -1 - Failed to handle message type StatusMsg (Generic error)) [AMRestoreErrorDomain – 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (-1) [sys = 0x3F, sub = 0xFFF, code = 0x3FFF (16383)]]

Nov 16, 2021 2:14 PM in response to ku4hx

Hi

I tried to attach MacBook Pro M1 2020 via USB-C to a Mac Mini M1 2020 and using Configurator 2, try to Restore the system on to the MacBook Pro in DFU mode.

I also tried the same using iMazing software which is similar to Configurator.

The bar goes up to about 60 to 70 % before it fails and I get the error messages.

Thanks for your help 👍🏾

Nov 17, 2021 1:06 PM in response to uk5am

Of course I'm just guessing; if you need to restore your system there is likely a better method.

What exactly do you want your restoration efforts to yield? If you're trying to reinstall your OS, the Recovery Panel is actually quite easy to use once you get the hang of invoking it at startup.

Nov 17, 2021 1:38 PM in response to ku4hx

Yes Sir,

using Reinstall macOS is when I get the 2 error messages (the photos I just sent you a few minutes ago) it was then that I started to search for the answers to those errors that I got pointed to the Configurator solution.

The Apple reseller told me that Big Sur looks for what hardware is present when it is trying to install or reinstall the macOS, if there is a hardware fault, it will not proceed to install but fail.

I have purchased a Palmrest with TouchBar and TrackPad but with NO logic board. Awaiting delivery to replace.

The Apple reseller wants so much money to replace the Palmrest and TrackPad, that I could buy a Brand New MacBook Pro M1 from Apple.

System cannot be restored on this device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.