Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect 2 homepod mini as a stereo speakers? I tried everything! Like reset them , pair them individually and checked their same wifi connection too ! Suffering alot because of this and its annoying ! Phewww and i bought 4 homepod mini

Cant connect my homepod

mini with my phone ! They play when i call Hey siri! And dont cant get a benefit of stereo sound either! Tried everything with wifi connection same on both,,resetting them! But no hope

HomePod mini

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 4:53 AM

See Set up a HomePod stereo pair - Apple Support. Make sure that your router isn't using any access/client/wireless isolation/security feature that blocks peer-to-peer connections on your network.

tt2

5 replies

Dec 24, 2021 5:14 PM in response to DhaNi95

RE: Answer by turingtest2:

1) Can I use Apple TV 4K's (2nd gen) bluetooth capability to pair the HP Minis to my Apple TV - instead of wireless?

2) After reading multiple articles about the similarities between HomePod & HomePod Minis, I bought 2 Minis (approx $300 CDN). I just learned the following in one of Apple's support articles (in very fine print): "Homepod mini doesn't support Dolby Atmos 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound." I have a 2021 LG C1 OLED 48" TV (with 4 HDMI 2.1 ports w/ one as an eArc) which is optimal for console & PC gaming. So, which of the following will create the best sound optimization:

• Is a stereo effect (or true stereo?) the best I can achieve IF the devices pair properly?
  • Or am I better off ditching my brand new HomePod minis, and relying instead on my LG TV and the new Apple TV 4K (2nd gen), i.e., can I get Atmos or other sound surround using just the 2021 Apple TV 4K without the Minis?
  • Or would I get the best result by dumping BOTH the Apple TV 4K and the HP Minis, thereby relying only on whatever LG's sound optimization is together with its admittedly inferior internal speaker? Thanks!

Dec 25, 2021 2:13 AM in response to Tammi909

1) No. Bluetooth is used during configuration and handoff, but music playback uses the Airplay 2 protocol over wireless.

2) Neither HomePod nor HomePod mini support 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. The OG HomePod has support for spatial audio and Dolby Atmos, the minis do not.

• Stereo paired HomePod minis should give true stereo separation, with each playing either the left or right channel of the source media.
  • I don't think Apple TV will pass through Atmos effects over HDMI, but I could be wrong.
  • Best results for what? Apple TV gives access to content that you cannot get natively though the LG, either you want that or you don't. Whether that content sounds better using the internal TV speakers, HomePods, or some third party speaker add-on for the TV is a judgement call only you can make.

You mentioned console & PC gaming in the LG's features. It is perhaps worth noting here that AirPlay 2 introduces about 2 seconds of lag, which the TV apps compensate for, but it makes HomePods unsuitable for gaming, music creation, or anything else requiring real time audio synchronization.

tt2

Dec 29, 2021 6:17 PM in response to turingtest2

I really appreciated your input. At least I finally have some answers (not terribly forthcoming from Apple support). However, almost of your comments make me wish I'd never read the awesome reviews about the Minis. I guess the fact that bluetooth is solely used during configuration and hand-off was another limitation that Apple decided to confine to the "fine print." And given that I have so many wireless devices around where this was going to be set up, together with your valuable comment about the lack of suitability for the Homepods re: anything requiring audio sync, means I'm stuck with essentially $300 CDN of useless devices. However, the fact that the paired HomePod minis "should give true stereo separation" means I can perhaps use them in a limited capacity elsewhere. Your point is well-taken, to a degree, re: my last question about best sound optimization. You did address that re: actual vs. stereo effect. Whether I get the apps from LG or Apple TV in this context is irrelevant to me. I finally clarified elsewhere that what I meant by sound optimization, i.e,, the best type of surround sound I could achieve, given all the limitations, in conjunction with all of Apple's "offerings" - home theater; stereo; etc. but I get that is subjective - IF one understands all of the variations. Lastly, per techradar.com, the Apple TV 4K (2nd gen) “supports both high-frame-rate HDR and Dolby Vision 4K format, along with Dolby Atmos audio.” Personally, I miss the days of analogue! Thanks again!

How to connect 2 homepod mini as a stereo speakers? I tried everything! Like reset them , pair them individually and checked their same wifi connection too ! Suffering alot because of this and its annoying ! Phewww and i bought 4 homepod mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.