Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting two iMacs with an Ethernet Cable

I need to connect two iMacs with an ethernet cable. I have successfully done this on my network through WiFi, so the permissions are all ok. But I need faster file transfer speeds. I followed the instructions on how to do this, and it seems that I simply connect the two ethernet ports with a standard Ethernet cable (not a crossover cable).

The problem: having done this, neither computer displays the other in the Finder Window or in the GO > CONNECT TO SERVER > BROWSE.

What could be wrong? (I make sure this is the preferred connection by turning OFF the WiFi for each computer). Thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 11:12 AM

Yes, that is exactly the article I read. However, in the meantime, I did find a solution. I went into system preferences > network > ethernet. I then selected Create PPPoE service. It assigned a local IP address to one of the IMacs. I then shut down the WiFi just to make sure it wasn't connecting that way. Then I used finder > go > connect to server, and typed in the local IP address.

It worked. I now have access to the other computer and associated drives.

I am not sure why this was necessary but the instructions from Apple simply didn't work for me.

Thanks for your help. Steve

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2021 11:12 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Yes, that is exactly the article I read. However, in the meantime, I did find a solution. I went into system preferences > network > ethernet. I then selected Create PPPoE service. It assigned a local IP address to one of the IMacs. I then shut down the WiFi just to make sure it wasn't connecting that way. Then I used finder > go > connect to server, and typed in the local IP address.

It worked. I now have access to the other computer and associated drives.

I am not sure why this was necessary but the instructions from Apple simply didn't work for me.

Thanks for your help. Steve

Connecting two iMacs with an Ethernet Cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.