Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail App in OS Monterey not displaying images in certain emails

I have a new MacBook Air M1 which I''ve upgraded to MacOS Monterey. Since upgrading the mail app does not always display images in emails. I've disabled all the privacy options in the mail preferences. Also there is no option to "Load Remote Content" that I can find anywhere. The emails display correctly when I go to my iCloud.com account or they have the option to load remote content.

How do I fix this issue, it's incredibly annoying.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 1:42 PM

Is " AD Guard " installed ??

Any Antivirus Software installed ??

AntiVirus Software should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS including the download and installation of Monterey

The Built in Security  is all that is required. 

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2021 1:42 PM in response to neilm1

Is " AD Guard " installed ??

Any Antivirus Software installed ??

AntiVirus Software should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS including the download and installation of Monterey

The Built in Security  is all that is required. 

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Mar 5, 2022 6:31 AM in response to neilm1

I have this exact problem and none of the solutions presented by Apple or third parties have solved it. I uninstalled third party antivirus software and spam filtering software. I unchecked all the privacy options in Apple Mail.

For some websites, including ones coded by me and using AWS for delivery of email but also others such as the Bucks County Courier Times, the images show as broken links in the Apple Mail app and in iOS on the iPhone. The images display properly everywhere else email can be checked, including in the iCloud mail browser and the Gmail app on iPhone.

Apple, please acknowledge and fix this problem.

Nov 16, 2021 1:43 PM in response to neilm1

I should add to my comment above that if you do check the "Block all remote content" option then a "Load Remote Content" button is displayed above the email address information. If you uncheck all the privacy options in Mail preferences then for some (random?) emails no remote content is displayed and there is no option to display them.

Jan 19, 2022 4:37 PM in response to neilm1

I had exactly this problem and it was not sufficient to simply uncheck "Protect Mail Activity" in the Privacy section of the Mail Preferences. I had to also uncheck "Hide IP Address" and I already had "Block All Remote Content" unchecked. Otherwise I had to click each and every email individually to see any HTML content. Fingers crossed, unchecking everything hopefully continues to work.

Feb 8, 2022 12:54 PM in response to Mak538

If I open same email in ANY other mail app outside of Apple mail it shows the images. It shows them on webmail as well. I forwarded message to my gmail and opened in gmail.com webmail and email shows all images and renders perfectly. I have the same issue with iOS 15 Mail as well. No images at all on certain emails. It worked on iOS 14 and on Big Sur just fine. My buddy just upgraded to iOS 15 and he has the same issue. Tried all suggestions above and others from other forums. Submitted feedback to apple and also called support and got to an engineer and he couldn't figure it out either.

Feb 8, 2022 1:02 PM in response to Mak538

I have unchecked all privacy options and the problem still occurs. On other mail clients including gmail, outlook.com this problem does not occur and html emails display properly. On iCloud I have to click the "Load Remote Content" button but (1) at least the button is displayed; and (2) the remote content loads. This button/option is never displayed on Mac Mail (or IOS mail app). The problem has only happened since switching to Monterey (and IOS 15 on my phone).

Mail App in OS Monterey not displaying images in certain emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.