You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting Apps on an older iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Hello all,

Is there any way to get apps on an older iPod Touch? I believe the on-device App Store is disabled for security reasons. And I've tried using an old version of iTunes which still had the App Store, but nothing even shows up in the store. So no luck there!

These older devices are still excellent! And it doesn't seem right there should be no way to still use apps, even if obviously the newer apps won't work.

In fact the app I want does say it works on the OS version I have. It's for a synthesizer I recently bought, an AKAI Synthstation25 keyboard which docks an iPod/iPhone via the 32 pin connector.

I know these older devices are no longer supported by Apple, but it doesn't seem right to make it impossible to access apps when they are still very usable devices. Especially in this day and age, where we're supposed to be trying to save the old planet and so on!

They should at the very least have an option to still access the app store via iTunes!

iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 5:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 5:45 PM

The hardware as well as iOS are incompatible to what is offered today.

All apps are 64-Bit and you have a 32-Bit system.

iPod touch 3rd gen. discontinued in 2010 (11 years ago)

Similar questions

1 reply

Getting Apps on an older iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.