Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod touch 4 Can't connect to the iTunes or App stores

I had to reset my old iPod Touch V4 (MC544LL/4 running IOS 6.1.6) and lost one of the apps that I used frequently. I haven't been able to get it back by restoring from a backup and can't connect to either the iTunes store or to the App store to see if it's still available. I can't use the new Music software on my Mac (OS Monterey) either, since it no longer supports maintaining apps on the iPods.

The iPod connects correctly to the internet - I can use Safari to browse. My Apple ID is connected and correct as well but when I try to connect to either the iTunes store or the App store using the icons on the iPod, the iPod looks for a bit and then shows the error message "Cannot connect to the iTunes Store". The same message appears whether I try to connect to the App store or the iTunes store.

Is there a way to connect to the App store with this iPod?

TIA

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 11:16 AM

Okey-dokey, I'm up for this particular challenge.

A quick online search for the app produces a page (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/itunes-store/id915061235) from which I've taken the following screenshots:

and further down that page:

And here's the full view, showing both zoomed in parts:

The following Apple article, If you can't open the App Store or iTunes Store, buy content or edit payment information – Apple Support (UK), specifically states that if you cannot connect to the store, it may be because you are using out-of-date software or hardware. I won't post any more screenshots, because our hosts don't always appreciate too many, but see the top of that page. Further into the article, it mentions both the increased security and obsolete products, and one of the links in that article takes one to another article that specifically lists the 4th generation iPod Touch as obsolete.

So, I don't know who to believe. Both answers seem credible but in the end, neither is very helpful and I still have the same issue.

(Addressing only the "issue"), there's no way around it short of replacing the iPod with a new model. If you decide to use that option, get the 7th generation Touch rather than the 6th gen one. The 6th generation iPod Touch cannot install iOS 13 or later, so you would be short-changing yourself to buy one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2022 11:16 AM in response to jfrommitchell

Okey-dokey, I'm up for this particular challenge.

A quick online search for the app produces a page (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/itunes-store/id915061235) from which I've taken the following screenshots:

and further down that page:

And here's the full view, showing both zoomed in parts:

The following Apple article, If you can't open the App Store or iTunes Store, buy content or edit payment information – Apple Support (UK), specifically states that if you cannot connect to the store, it may be because you are using out-of-date software or hardware. I won't post any more screenshots, because our hosts don't always appreciate too many, but see the top of that page. Further into the article, it mentions both the increased security and obsolete products, and one of the links in that article takes one to another article that specifically lists the 4th generation iPod Touch as obsolete.

So, I don't know who to believe. Both answers seem credible but in the end, neither is very helpful and I still have the same issue.

(Addressing only the "issue"), there's no way around it short of replacing the iPod with a new model. If you decide to use that option, get the 7th generation Touch rather than the 6th gen one. The 6th generation iPod Touch cannot install iOS 13 or later, so you would be short-changing yourself to buy one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jan 5, 2022 7:59 AM in response to the fiend

THIS ("The following Apple article, If you can't open the App Store or iTunes Store, buy content or edit payment information – Apple Support (UK), specifically states that if you cannot connect to the store, it may be because you are using out-of-date software or hardware. ... Further into the article, it mentions both the increased security and obsolete products, and one of the links in that article takes one to another article that specifically lists the 4th generation iPod Touch as obsolete.") is helpful and fully answers my question.

Thank you!!!

Jan 3, 2022 11:25 AM in response to the fiend

I suppose I should have waited longer for more responses but I went ahead and chatted with Apple Support about it. They say that I should be able to connect to the iTunes store with my old iPod and suggested having a professional Apple service look at it.

ipod touch 4 Can't connect to the iTunes or App stores

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.