Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto

I am transferring iPhoto photos from one computer to another. The originals are in iPhoto. I then just transfer them to a USB by drag and drop. I then use the USB in another computer to upgrade iPhoto collection to Photos. When I get the final Photos collection I am finding that I am unable to do any editing on the photos in Photos. Should I be exporting the iPhotos to my USB not just using drag and drop. Would this way of transferring mean all the information would be transferred to Photos and allow me to edit in Photos.

John

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 7:21 PM

Exporting gets you the best quality, drag and drop just gets you the preview.

But the easiest way, that will transfer all the info is to get the Photos Library onto the new computer, or an an external drive attached to the computer and just let Photos convert the iPhoto Library into a Photos one. (Launch Photos with the option key held down and from the dialog, choose your iPhoto Library)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2021 7:21 PM in response to JayDee51

Exporting gets you the best quality, drag and drop just gets you the preview.

But the easiest way, that will transfer all the info is to get the Photos Library onto the new computer, or an an external drive attached to the computer and just let Photos convert the iPhoto Library into a Photos one. (Launch Photos with the option key held down and from the dialog, choose your iPhoto Library)

iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.