Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How am I suppose to transfer my photos library to Photos?

Has anyone been able to open the photos of iPhoto on an hard drive in the new Photos? How is it done?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 9:36 AM

If the recommendation by FoxFifth should not be working as expected, make sure your external hard drive is compatible with Photos. Check, if the external device has been prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

The hard drive must not have been used for Time Machine backups, the file system format needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, and the drive needs a wired connection.

Then Photos should be able to migrate the iPhoto Library, unless the library is from a very early version of iPhoto.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 9:36 AM in response to iPhotoproblem2022

If the recommendation by FoxFifth should not be working as expected, make sure your external hard drive is compatible with Photos. Check, if the external device has been prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

The hard drive must not have been used for Time Machine backups, the file system format needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, and the drive needs a wired connection.

Then Photos should be able to migrate the iPhoto Library, unless the library is from a very early version of iPhoto.

How am I suppose to transfer my photos library to Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.