You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Concern about deleting photos from iCloud but not from my iMac.

I use my iMac hard drive as my main storage unit for my photos (with several backups, for security purposes). I would like to put all these photos onto my iCloud account, primarily so my wife and I can access them remotely. I take photos both with my iPhone and a digital camera. I have about 20,000 photos in roughly 100 albums, and I want to preserve that hierarchy when I put the photos on iCloud.

Right now iCloud Photos is turned off but I did have it on (without really knowing) for about two years until just recently. As a result there are about 2000 photos on my iCloud account, and they are not in any particular album..

I’d like to restart with a clean slate, first removing these 2000 photos from iCloud and then uploading all my photos from the iMac, in their respective albums, onto my iCloud Photos account. My concern is that I don’t want to lose any of the photos already on my iMac. I plan to keep iCloud Photos on my iMac turned off and then remove all the photos from the iCloud account. However, is there any chance that when I reconnect the iMac to iCloud Photos, now with an empty iCloud folder, that these photos could be removed from my iMac?

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 8:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 8:28 PM

If you have iCloud photos off on all devices, you can safely delete the items in iCloud.

Once deleted, enables iCloud photos on your Mac and all of your photos will upload.

And, of Course, keep your backup just in case (but you won't need it).

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 16, 2021 11:23 PM in response to rlplant

rlplant wrote:
... I would like to put all these photos onto my iCloud account, primarily so my wife and I can access them remotely. ...

Moving your Photos Library to iCloud Photos will not make the photos available for your wife - iCloud Photos is tied to your Apple ID. each of you will have a separate iCloud Photos Library, or did I misunderstand you and you do not want to share the Photos Library in iCloud?

Nov 17, 2021 8:50 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for your reply. My wife does indeed have a separate AppleID so we won’t be able to share photos in the manner that I would like. But my first goal is to get the photos in the cloud so at least I can view them, and then later use Family Sharing or shared albums or something else so she can view them. What I really would like is a single library for the both of us that we both could add photos, but then also an individual library for each of us for photos that only one of us needs. As far as I can tell, that isn’t possible. Do you have any suggestions?

Concern about deleting photos from iCloud but not from my iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.