Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 16" M1 Pro/Max compatibility with TB3 docks

New MacBook Pro M1 Pro/Max 16“ is supplied with 140W charger. I would like to use with some dock – but all docks available on the market are able to deliver 85W (or 87W maximum) only.

Has anyone tried new MBP M1 Pro/Max with some legacy TB3 dock (ideally Belkin)? Is it able to supply enough power under full load? 

(I do not have mine yet, I’m still waiting for manufacture and delivery).

I suspect that 140W charges is supplied mainly because of fast battery charging (50% in 30 minutes), not because new MBP is so power-hungry. If new MBP would really need 140W per hour, battery life under full load would be only +/- 45 minutes… (battery is officially 100Wh).

Optionally – Is anyone aware of any dock with >100W power delivery?

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 5:48 PM

Yeah, the 140W brick does fast charging when bypassing the 100W limit with the MagSafe adapter but if you change that cable to a USB-C plug the Power drops accordingly …

I’ve had no problems so far with the 87W I have here… the M1 is fantastically power efficient…

Similar questions

4 replies

MBP 16" M1 Pro/Max compatibility with TB3 docks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.