Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Photos library that I'd like to import is grayed out in the finder window. Can anyone explain why that might be?

The Photos library that I'd like to import is grayed out in the finder window. Can anyone explain why that might be?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 6:43 PM

You can only import directly from a library, if the Mac is running macOS 12 Monterey. Importing libraries is not supported on Big Sur macOS 11.5 -the system version shown below your question.

The library you want to import must not be an iCloud Photos Library and must not be the same library you are importing to. If the library has not yet been opened on your current system, open it in Photos to upgrade it to Photos 7, before you try to import from the library. Also make sure the library is on a locally mounted volume with a compatible file system and not on a volume used for Time Machine backups.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 6:43 PM in response to CeleryMan

You can only import directly from a library, if the Mac is running macOS 12 Monterey. Importing libraries is not supported on Big Sur macOS 11.5 -the system version shown below your question.

The library you want to import must not be an iCloud Photos Library and must not be the same library you are importing to. If the library has not yet been opened on your current system, open it in Photos to upgrade it to Photos 7, before you try to import from the library. Also make sure the library is on a locally mounted volume with a compatible file system and not on a volume used for Time Machine backups.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.