Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot browse through Photos library from Finder window

I used to be able to browse through the Photos library from Finder, but this no longer works. If I want to, for instance, upload an image stored in Photos to a host like Imgur the library in the Photos directory will be greyed out as so:

If I attempt to browse through the Photos library from Finder itself clicking on the library will simply open Photos. I'm not sure if this was a preexistent behaviour or not, since the main issue is that I can no longer upload pictures stored within the library without first exporting them.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 7:46 AM

If you want to upload a photo to a portal, and use the upload dialog at the portal, a file chooser window will open.

You should be able to access the photos in this file chooser dialog panel. Do not try to select the Photos Library in this dialog in the Pictures folder, but scroll down, until the Media > Photos item appears in the sidebar. Click "Photos" in the Media section. This will show you the Photos Library for browsing.

The file chooser window looks like a Finder window, but cannot be accessed directly from the Finder, only when an applications is asking for Media files like photos or videos.

Photos has to prepare the library for the Media Browser. Only one of your Photos Libraries can be used this way. You have to enable this in the Photos > Preferences > General. Open Photos, then go to Photos > Preferences > General and click "Use as System photo Library", if this option is not yet dimmed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2019 7:46 AM in response to purgatori

If you want to upload a photo to a portal, and use the upload dialog at the portal, a file chooser window will open.

You should be able to access the photos in this file chooser dialog panel. Do not try to select the Photos Library in this dialog in the Pictures folder, but scroll down, until the Media > Photos item appears in the sidebar. Click "Photos" in the Media section. This will show you the Photos Library for browsing.

The file chooser window looks like a Finder window, but cannot be accessed directly from the Finder, only when an applications is asking for Media files like photos or videos.

Photos has to prepare the library for the Media Browser. Only one of your Photos Libraries can be used this way. You have to enable this in the Photos > Preferences > General. Open Photos, then go to Photos > Preferences > General and click "Use as System photo Library", if this option is not yet dimmed.

Cannot browse through Photos library from Finder window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.