Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message not delivered (!)/contact's phone # not registered with iMessage error on Macbook. How to fix?

Macbook Messages app will intermittently stop delivering texts to my non-iOS phone contacts on my Macbook Pro ((late 2013),(MojaveOS for justifying reasons)). My successful previously delivered texts to non-iOS users in the Macbook Messages app are now 'not delivered (!)'. In the 'To: Recipient' field, my contact has changed from a blue highlight to red in the with the drop-down menu explanation being their phone number is not registered with iMessage when moments previously it worked. I can't remember how I fixed it the last time (overwhelmed). Could someone please give me an assist? I'm a self-taught user and there are frustrating gaps in my basic knowledge of MacOS. Thank you for your consideration and time.

Past failed efforts to correct problem:

Messages in iCloud has been disabled then re-enabled in iMessage app's preferences. Have tried syncing.

Signed out & restarted Macbook.

Have deleted contacts. Re-entered contacts in the Message's 'To: recipient' field.

In my iPhone iOS 14.8.1: System Preferences: Messages iCloud enabled w Messages app enabled, Send as SMS enabled and MMS Messaging enabled if that matters somehow w my MacOS Messages app.

Update: I just received a text from the same non-Apple user that was designated red as a non-registered number w iMessage. I could then send a reply after their message was initiated/delivered. My reply was delivered w/o denials. There is another red/non-registered w iMessage contact who's outside of Apple's ecosystem that persists in my Messages. My attempts to deliver an initiated message failed (!). So do I have to wait until one of my non-apple contacts initiate contact first to resume messaging with them?

Again, thank you for any assistance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 12:13 PM

Hello stepintime, 

It sounds as though you’re having issues sending SMS text message from your Mac to non-iPhone/Apple product users. Apple Support Communities is a great place for help, and we’re glad you were directed here from the related article Use Custom Email Domain with iCloud Mail.

From the description you provided it sounds as though iMessage is enabled, but you’re unable to send SMS/MMS messages from your Mac. This feature is called Text Message Forwarding, and is explained in more detail via the following link.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac

This feature would allow for you to send and receive SMS/MMS messages to non-iPhone or Apple products users from your Mac. 

If you’re having issues sending and receiving iMessages, you may find the following articles helpful. 

Set up Messages on Mac

If you can't send or receive messages on your Mac

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2021 12:13 PM in response to stepintime

Hello stepintime, 

It sounds as though you’re having issues sending SMS text message from your Mac to non-iPhone/Apple product users. Apple Support Communities is a great place for help, and we’re glad you were directed here from the related article Use Custom Email Domain with iCloud Mail.

From the description you provided it sounds as though iMessage is enabled, but you’re unable to send SMS/MMS messages from your Mac. This feature is called Text Message Forwarding, and is explained in more detail via the following link.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac

This feature would allow for you to send and receive SMS/MMS messages to non-iPhone or Apple products users from your Mac. 

If you’re having issues sending and receiving iMessages, you may find the following articles helpful. 

Set up Messages on Mac

If you can't send or receive messages on your Mac

Take care!

Message not delivered (!)/contact's phone # not registered with iMessage error on Macbook. How to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.