Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Messages app not sending to certain contacts

This problem started the other day when I was using the Messages app in macOS. One of my frequent contacts who I message all day stopped appearing as his contact name, and instead appearing has his phone number, as if he wasn't in my contacts. The little option to share my contact with him even appeared in the iMessage window with our chat. As this was kind of abnormal, I signed out of my iCloud account within messages preferences, and signed back in. Now his contact was restored, however I can no longer iMessages to just this contact. I get the red exclamation point "Not Delivered" message. I still receive his incoming iMessages in the messages app, as well as in messages on my iPhone. I can send him messages on the iPhone, but cannot on the macOS app. I can successfully send iMessages within macOS messaged app to every other contact I have tried so far, just not this one.

So far I have tried deleting his contact in iCloud and recreating a fresh one, completing signing out and signing back into my iCloud account on the MacBook, resetting my NVRAM, signing out and back my iCloud in messages preferences several times, and nothing has worked. I have tried every step in the official support docs about messages app troubles. Searching the forums and reddit, I see that I am not the only person for whom this problem has occurred, but I have yet to come upon any kind of satisfactory answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 2:54 PM

This is the only contact I have found so far that this is happening to. Yes, I did make sure that the SMS/MMS forwarding options were selected. Continuity does still function.

That said, I have finally found a solution to this problem . I found that if this problematic contact was in a group iMessage chat with other contacts, the messages went through just fine. This made me suspect that the issue was somehow tied to the specific conversation thread I had with the contact, and not the contact itself. I deleted the conversation and started a fresh one, and the problem was solved. Its not ideal because I did lose several years worth of conversation and shared files, but at least it's fixed.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2021 2:54 PM in response to Leanne_68

This is the only contact I have found so far that this is happening to. Yes, I did make sure that the SMS/MMS forwarding options were selected. Continuity does still function.

That said, I have finally found a solution to this problem . I found that if this problematic contact was in a group iMessage chat with other contacts, the messages went through just fine. This made me suspect that the issue was somehow tied to the specific conversation thread I had with the contact, and not the contact itself. I deleted the conversation and started a fresh one, and the problem was solved. Its not ideal because I did lose several years worth of conversation and shared files, but at least it's fixed.

Apr 23, 2021 1:54 PM in response to Gary Robbins

Hello there Gary Robbins,

We understand that you're having some issues messaging this one specific contact on your Mac. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

To get started, does this same exact thing happen with any other contacts at all? In the meantime, since you can send and receive messages just fine using your iPhone, that may point to an issue with SMS/MMS forwarding and continuity. When you signed out of iCloud on your Mac, did you check to ensure that these settings were enabled? Check out these resources to help double check: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac

Also, do any other Continuity features shown here still function?

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

macOS Messages app not sending to certain contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.