Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not Getting Full Resolution on MacBook Pro 16" 2021 with Ultrawide 3440 x 1440

After upgrading to a new MacBook Pro Max 16" 2021, I cannot seem to get full 3440x1440 resolution on my Sceptre C35 Ultrawide monitor. It's not even an option when I choose 'Show all resolutions'. Highest res available is 2560x1080. It works fine on my MacBook Pro 2019 and MacBook Pro Retina 2015. Is there a known bug with this computer or macOS Monterey? I'm connecting usbc -> hdmi. hdmi->hdmi was even lower res.

Thanks

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 6:54 PM

Things are different in the two computers.

Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 17, 2021 5:33 PM in response to you_give_me_gas

That display is reporting its capabilities suing the cabling you connected. If are connecting with an HDMI cable, that resolution is for HALF the screen over HDMI, whose cables top out before you can get the whole screen displayed.

You need to connect another HDMI cable to get the other half, or use ONE DisplayPort family cable that can support far higher resolutions.

Nov 18, 2021 8:51 AM in response to you_give_me_gas

The possible sets of resolutions are sent by the DISPLAY. The Mac can only respond to what the display says are its capabilities.

Some Users have found that for certain displays, when more modern HDMI versions (that supports data compression) are possible (because the Mac supports nominally more modern HDMI versions) the display capabilities that match include sharply lower resolutions -- likely because the display is not prepared to do data de-compression at full speed for higher resolutions.

If you would like to examine this in detail, a Utility like SwitchResX can show you what the display is offering as its capabilities.

I stand by my initial recommendation: Either ADD an additional HDMI cable, -OR- switch to DisplayPort family cabling.

Not Getting Full Resolution on MacBook Pro 16" 2021 with Ultrawide 3440 x 1440

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.