Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging new Macbook Pro with 2018 charger

Can I use my 2018 Macbook Pro 87W charger to charge the new Macbook Pro (M1 Pro) which brings a 140W charger? Will it damage it?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 6:53 AM

Articles about charging these Macs:

Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The tech specs for the MacBook Pro 14 and 16-in models,

MacBook Pro 14- and 16-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

plus the article on selecting the correct charger for your Mac,

About Mac power adapters - Apple Support

plus the article on fast charging,

Fast charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support

plus User experiments reported here, including debating the Pros and Cons of using various approaches with readers here, out in the open, where EVERY statement is subject to the scrutiny and rebuttal of other users, who have a very broad background in many different disciplines.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 6:53 AM in response to c.ortiz1216

Articles about charging these Macs:

Charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The tech specs for the MacBook Pro 14 and 16-in models,

MacBook Pro 14- and 16-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

plus the article on selecting the correct charger for your Mac,

About Mac power adapters - Apple Support

plus the article on fast charging,

Fast charge your 14-inch or 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support

plus User experiments reported here, including debating the Pros and Cons of using various approaches with readers here, out in the open, where EVERY statement is subject to the scrutiny and rebuttal of other users, who have a very broad background in many different disciplines.

Nov 17, 2021 7:09 PM in response to sebastiangarcias

14-in is looking for 65-ish watts to Charge+Run,

16-in is looking for near 100-ish watts to Charge+Run.

... add about 40W more for fast Charge+Run

and all require a power adapter with USB Power Delivery Protocol -- you can't just assert 60 W at 20 Volts and expect anything good to happen. The computer is in control of its charging.

Nov 30, 2021 7:30 AM in response to sebastiangarcias

All these people with shiny new Macs - I'm still waiting for mine (it's a gift from my parents. Initially, I was meant to be swapping it for this one as their mid-2012 MBP is limping (and can't be updated any more, of course), but this one has too many problems (dodgy keyboard, 2 non-functioning Thunderbolt ports, failing battery, dodgy Touch Bar (only works 50% of the time) and the hard drive isn't in the best of health, either - and it's only a late 2016 model).

Dad ordered it 6 weeks ago, and still no update from Apple as to its whereabouts. Feel I ought to have received it by now...😠😡🤬🤯

Charging new Macbook Pro with 2018 charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.