Related Article: Fast charge your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I safely charge my 2021 16" MacBook Pro (that came with a 140w MagSafe 3 charger) with my 2015 15" MacBook Pro 87W usb c charger?

Can I safely charge my 2021 16" MacBook Pro (that came with a 140w MagSafe 3 charger) with my 2015 15" MacBook Pro 87W usb c charger? I move my computer between work and home daily... I have all day to charge up and don't want to buy a second 140w MagSafe 3 charger if I can safely use what I already have.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 6:59 AM

That power level is good enough to charge and run that Mac acceptably well for ordinary tasks. For high-stress operation, it may 'borrow' substantially from the battery. It can not fast charge without the higher power delivery of the 140 Watt unit.

Power supplies can not "force themselves" on your Mac. Providing power is under the computer's control, and is only provided after the smart computer and smart power supply negotiate an agreed Voltage and power level.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 6:59 AM in response to Ericiggy

That power level is good enough to charge and run that Mac acceptably well for ordinary tasks. For high-stress operation, it may 'borrow' substantially from the battery. It can not fast charge without the higher power delivery of the 140 Watt unit.

Power supplies can not "force themselves" on your Mac. Providing power is under the computer's control, and is only provided after the smart computer and smart power supply negotiate an agreed Voltage and power level.

Jun 3, 2022 6:57 AM in response to Ericiggy

Ericiggy wrote:

Can I safely charge my 2021 16" MacBook Pro (that came with a 140w MagSafe 3 charger) with my 2015 15" MacBook Pro 87W usb c charger? I move my computer between work and home daily... I have all day to charge up and don't want to buy a second 140w MagSafe 3 charger if I can safely use what I already have.

You can safely use it, yes.

under powered, yes.

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook ...

About Mac power adapters - Apple Support

MacBook Pro 14- and 16-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) - Technical Specifications

Can I safely charge my 2021 16" MacBook Pro (that came with a 140w MagSafe 3 charger) with my 2015 15" MacBook Pro 87W usb c charger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.