Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question regarding Apple Care+

I brought a Macbook and I'm considering purchasing Apple Care+ for it, which extends my warranty to 3 years (from the date of purchase). So, from my understand my warranty will looks something like this:

1st Year: Apple 1 year Limited Warranty + Apple Care+

2nd Year: Apple Care+ (with 2 incidents of accidental damage)

3rd Year: Apple Care+ (with 2 incidents of accidental damage)

I don't care much about accidental damage as I'm rather confident in using my devices responsibly. What I'm concerned about is having hardware failures from general use. For example, suppose a chip or a transistor/capacitor goes bad in the motherboard and my macbook doesn't turn on anymore. Or the fan suddenly went bad and started making weird screeching noises, etc. From my understanding this type of failure will be considered as a manufacturing defect under "Apple 1 year Limited Warranty" and would be repaired free of cost.

1.) Scenario 1: Assume the above mentioned failure occurs within the 1st year of my purchase. Here I'm covered by both "Apple 1 year Limited Warranty" and "Apple Care+". My question is, would apple repair my device for free under "Apple 1 year Limited Warranty" or would charge me $350 to repair it under their "Apple Care+"?

2.) Scenario 2: Assume the above mentioned failure occurs in the 2nd or 3rd year of my purchase. Since it's after the 1st year, here I'm not covered under "Apple 1 year Limited Warranty" as it's already expired. I'm only covered under "Apple Care+". Would I have to pay the fixed $350 in order to get this repaired under Apple Care+, even though it is a hardware failure and is not accidental/liquid damage caused by me?

Thanks in advance to help me out. Would you consider Apple Care+ for the new macbooks?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 8:38 AM

The repairs will be free during the extended warranty as long as there is no Accidental Damage. If there is Accidental Damage, then Apple will charge the appropriate fee ($99 US for a Display issue, $299 US for anything else in the base of the unit). If both the Display and Base assemblies are damaged, then the repair will cost $398 US ($99 + $299).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2021 8:38 AM in response to devfox

The repairs will be free during the extended warranty as long as there is no Accidental Damage. If there is Accidental Damage, then Apple will charge the appropriate fee ($99 US for a Display issue, $299 US for anything else in the base of the unit). If both the Display and Base assemblies are damaged, then the repair will cost $398 US ($99 + $299).

Nov 18, 2021 11:23 AM in response to devfox

The MacBook Pro is a lightweight, portable computer that can run on batteries. Being portable, it can easily be subjected to multi-G forces daily, just by being moved about in a completely ordinary way. This is extremely stressful to electro-mechanical equipment. I would never even think about NOT purchasing the extended warranty coverage for such a portable device.

What is NOT covered by warranty alone is screen glass breakage, liquid spills, or catastrophic failure (hard drops or "run over by a truck"). These items are covered for up to three years (now extendable) by AppleCare PLUS (two incidents of each type with a co-pay that essentially covers the labor). if you want the extended coverage, you must sign up within 60 days and an inspection or remote diagnostic may be required.

————

If you made the decision to NOT pay for the extended warranty, you made a decision to bear the cost of repairs during the extended warranty period yourself.

When facing a problem later, the correct cost calculation is:

Example 15-in screen retail cost of repair: US$800

less amount you saved ... US$380

... by NOT purchasing a service agreement

Effective incremental cost: US$420

PLUS the amount you saved by not buying the Service contract, which now must be spent as well.

Question regarding Apple Care+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.