Screen broken without any impact MBP 2019 16”

I bought a 2019 MacBook Pro brand new in November of 2021 from Best Buy. When I woke up on the 642nd day, I found the screen black with some horizontal lines at the bottom at first. Then as I restarted it a few times those lines disappeared and all that is visible is a blur of colors in the bottom left corner.

I’ve taken it to 2 certified Apple repair places and they want to charge $400 or more to fix it because I don’t have Apple care. I’ve owned 2 MBP in the past and they both lasted more than ten years so why in the world would I think I would need Apple care when the laptop is only a year old.

A Genius Bar technician told me that they can’t guarantee quality because these computers are mass produced now and that’s where Apple care comes in. As if everyone is expected to fork out more money only a year later after paying over $2000 for what is expected to be a high quality machine.

Anyone else experiencing display issues with their MacBook Pro 2019 16”?

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 2:07 PM

eflah_37 wrote:

I bought a 2019 MacBook Pro brand new in November of 2021 from Best Buy. When I woke up on the 642nd day, I found the screen black with some horizontal lines at the bottom at first. Then as I restarted it a few times those lines disappeared and all that is visible is a blur of colors in the bottom left corner.

I’ve taken it to 2 certified Apple repair places and they want to charge $400 or more to fix it because I don’t have Apple care. I’ve owned 2 MBP in the past and they both lasted more than ten years so why in the world would I think I would need Apple care when the laptop is only a year old.

A Genius Bar technician told me that they can’t guarantee quality because these computers are mass produced now and that’s where Apple care comes in. As if everyone is expected to fork out more money only a year later after paying over $2000 for what is expected to be a high quality machine.

I have a 16" 2019 I have had no issues.

I do have the AppleCare+ however

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage. Purchased within 60 days.

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage

Purchase the new coverage within 30 days after your original Applecare+ coverage ends.

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage - Apple Support

for your issue you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

the alternative to getting your screen repaired, as a work-a-round use an external monior

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2023 2:07 PM in response to eflah_37

eflah_37 wrote:

I have a 16" 2019 I have had no issues.

I do have the AppleCare+ however

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage. Purchased within 60 days.

AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage

Purchase the new coverage within 30 days after your original Applecare+ coverage ends.

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage - Apple Support

for your issue you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

the alternative to getting your screen repaired, as a work-a-round use an external monior

Aug 28, 2023 2:30 PM in response to eflah_37

eflah_37 wrote:

A Genius Bar technician told me that they can’t guarantee quality because these computers are mass produced now

Personal computers have been mass-produced since before this century.

Warranties are free for one year for a reason. Apple believes the odds are in their favor during that year but that those odds start to shift after that. This is not new. You were lucky before and not lucky this time.

Also, if the device is 642 days old, it's not "a year old".

Screen broken without any impact MBP 2019 16”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.