Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey

How do you merge the contents of two similar folders?

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 11:12 AM

Hello Dave Webb,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to merge content of two similar folders. We'll be happy to help.

For details about merging two folders on your Mac, we recommend to review this helpful article: Organize files in folders on Mac Specifically the section that says, "Merge two folders with the same name."

In addition, you can create a Smart Folder in macOS Monterey that contains a list of files that are common. Here's additional details: Create or change a Smart Folder on Mac

Best regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2021 11:12 AM in response to Dave Webb

Hello Dave Webb,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to merge content of two similar folders. We'll be happy to help.

For details about merging two folders on your Mac, we recommend to review this helpful article: Organize files in folders on Mac Specifically the section that says, "Merge two folders with the same name."

In addition, you can create a Smart Folder in macOS Monterey that contains a list of files that are common. Here's additional details: Create or change a Smart Folder on Mac

Best regards.

Nov 19, 2021 3:12 PM in response to bryanr14

Thanks. I knew that was the process in earlier versions of the macOS, and I wanted to make sure it was still true in Monterey. I wish the Merge option would also appear when the two folders contained files with identical names — but had different dates. I’m still cleaning up a mess created after Catalina moved thousands of my files to the Relocated items folder. I had followed a practice of placing folders in the top level of my hard drive (not within the Documents folder). The lead up to Catalina didn’t seem to warn us about the change in structure that was about to happen, and I was alarmed, to say the least, when all of my data files no longer appeared in the hard drive. I called an Apple tech who was obviously not versed on the change. She told me to use files in the Relocated folder and move the folders where I wished. She said if I followed this practice, the Relocated folder and its contents would eventually disappear. NOT SO! After some time, I realized as I was moving my folders back to where I wanted them, Catalina was actually recopying them in the new location AND retaining a copy in the Relocated folder. I didn’t discover the issue until I realized Spotlight search were sometimes locating the original folder, sometimes locating the moved copy, and sometimes locating both. Over the last two years I’ve been slowly comparing the contents of the thousands of folders that I moved with the copy in Relocated items. Just a few days ago I remembered the Merge option. For someone who’s used Macs since 1985, the Catalina file storage change was the worst situation Apple’s engineers have dumped in my lap. Shame on them!

macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.