Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the TV Provider? My provider is Dish but AppleTV has me locked into DirecTV.

Just bought the new AppleTV 3rd generation. Plugged it in, got it started, and everything looked like it was going to be easy. When I got to TV Provider, the device had me assigned to DirecTV, however, my provider is Dish. I have tried everything I know to remove DirecTV but can't get it done.

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 2:20 PM

Your post is a bit confusing.

1. Apple has not sold a 3rd generation Apple TV for several years. So not sure how you got a new one.
  2. The third generation Apple TV has no option for a TV Provider. That is only available on 4th, 5th and 6th generation Apple TV.

The first thing to do is correctly Identify the Apple TV model you have: link-> Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

The second thing is to explain where exactly you are seeing it locked in to DirectTV?

On 4th, 5th and 6th Gen Apple TVs, you can set a Tv provider for single sign in, so you can use any included channels in your cable subscription with their respective Apps on the Apple TV. That can be found in Settings->Users and Accounts->TV Provider.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2021 2:20 PM in response to Gerald2420

Your post is a bit confusing.

1. Apple has not sold a 3rd generation Apple TV for several years. So not sure how you got a new one.
  2. The third generation Apple TV has no option for a TV Provider. That is only available on 4th, 5th and 6th generation Apple TV.

The first thing to do is correctly Identify the Apple TV model you have: link-> Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

The second thing is to explain where exactly you are seeing it locked in to DirectTV?

On 4th, 5th and 6th Gen Apple TVs, you can set a Tv provider for single sign in, so you can use any included channels in your cable subscription with their respective Apps on the Apple TV. That can be found in Settings->Users and Accounts->TV Provider.

Dec 5, 2021 5:22 AM in response to Gerald2420

I don't think the appletv generation is the problem. I'm having the same problem with my 2nd generation that I have had since new for years. I am having issues with my fubotv connecting to cbs. While they work on the problem, they said to sign in to the CBS app through my provider (fubotv) to access live tv which I have done successfully on my IPhone, my mac book and my amazon firetv.When I try to access it on my appletv the only option for sign in is Dish which I haven't used for years. Instead of an activation code to use at cbs.com/tv/appletv I get a small box, no letters or numbers. This is the problem. How do I get rid of Dish as the only option to which I no longer have access.

Dec 6, 2021 8:17 AM in response to Maggie_3001

Signing in with a provider in a specific App, and using your TV provider for a general sign in like is possible on a 4th generation and later Apple TVs are 2 very different things.

If Fubo is not supported on the CBS channel (second gen Apple TVs don't support Apps, only channels), then that's down to the supplier of said channel. Being so old, that CBS channel is probably from before Fubo existed, so no way for it to support it.

These are 2 different issues here.

How do I change the TV Provider? My provider is Dish but AppleTV has me locked into DirecTV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.