Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I do a fresh install of Mavericks on a new hard disk?

My old hard disk that runs Mavericks on my Mac Pro (Mid-2010) is dying. I have a new SSD drive to put in and want to install Mavericks on it so I can use my old software. Where can I download an installer for this? Thanks, Frank Fitzpatrick

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 6:54 PM

The installer for Mavericks is no longer available. It is the only one that Apple does not make available.

Is there a reason you want Mavericks, a 2010 Mac Pro can run Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra

which are still available. How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support If your mac is running a 'Metal' graphics card then it can also run macOS Mojave.

I think the only way to retain Mavericks would be to make a clone of your Mavericks drive

and use that to clone to the new SSD, this should retain the bootable properties of the original drive.

Whatever you decide to do you must make either a full backup or clone of that drive now.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2021 6:54 PM in response to frankELF

The installer for Mavericks is no longer available. It is the only one that Apple does not make available.

Is there a reason you want Mavericks, a 2010 Mac Pro can run Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra

which are still available. How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support If your mac is running a 'Metal' graphics card then it can also run macOS Mojave.

I think the only way to retain Mavericks would be to make a clone of your Mavericks drive

and use that to clone to the new SSD, this should retain the bootable properties of the original drive.

Whatever you decide to do you must make either a full backup or clone of that drive now.

How do I do a fresh install of Mavericks on a new hard disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.