Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro keeps on rebooting after closing the lid

I have Mac Book pro 16" 2019. I have updated to the latest mac OS Monteray. However, every time I switch it off and close the lid, it automatically reboots again. Hence for a very long time, it has never gone off, unless the lid is open.

This is annoying since sometimes you might want to preserve the battery, especially if you are travelling but it won't just let you switch it off. Is this a system malfunction?

Anyone who has experienced this and how did you resolve it?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 8:54 PM

bonnie_act Said:

"Mac Book Pro keeps on rebooting after closing the lid: I have Mac Book pro 16" 2019. I have updated to the latest mac OS Monteray. However, every time I switch it off and close the lid, it automatically reboots again."

-------

Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

If you are having power issues, then reset your SMC and your NVRAM. Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for Power) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset your SMC and reset your NVRAM. Then, try connecting once more. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2021 8:54 PM in response to bonnie_act

bonnie_act Said:

"Mac Book Pro keeps on rebooting after closing the lid: I have Mac Book pro 16" 2019. I have updated to the latest mac OS Monteray. However, every time I switch it off and close the lid, it automatically reboots again."

-------

Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

If you are having power issues, then reset your SMC and your NVRAM. Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for Power) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset your SMC and reset your NVRAM. Then, try connecting once more. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Mac Book Pro keeps on rebooting after closing the lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.