Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recent Firefox browser problems

Firefox says it's version 91.3 is up to date -- recently downloaded. Either before then, but definitely after, Firefox continually crashes using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7. Who is responsible for this? Mac? Firefox? I suspect Mac because Mac's Pages program also crashes regularly. Nobody wants to hear from a user, and I wouldn't know how to do that if they did. Sometimes, Mac will notice and say 'Report Problem to Mac' which I do. Nothing changes. This happens now every day. It never used to. Does anyone have any solutions? The only thing I do is click "shut down" -- then force it to manually, since it never shuts down all the way, then manually restart. Then it works fine --- until it doesn't again. Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 9:22 AM

5 replies

Nov 19, 2021 11:01 AM in response to corbinbdc

corbinbdc wrote:

Firefox says it's version 91.3 is up to date -- recently downloaded. Either before then, but definitely after, Firefox continually crashes using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7.

This would be a FireFox issue....

for your third party app I would contact or search—Support/Help?FAQ/Known issues?Compatibility

Mozilla Support

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN—all known to cause issue on the macOS

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 19, 2021 9:51 AM in response to corbinbdc

Stuff happens with software. The first thing I would do is to do a restart in the Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift key on restart. Be patient. It can take up to ten minutes while the OS is repairing itself and emptying its caches. Then restart normally and see what happens. You might also run Disk Utility and run its Repair function. That might help. If it shows unsolved problems, keep running it until you get an OK message. If you still have the problems, download and run the free app EtreCheck. Be sure to enable full disk access. it will provide an extensive report of your computer's condition. You can post that report here, below under "Additional text". Then someone here can analyze the report and offer some observations.

Nov 19, 2021 9:53 AM in response to corbinbdc

How much free disk space do you have? What year is your Mac, you are running MacOS 10.15, correct?

Several things you can try:

Before doing anything, make a complete backup of everything and check to make sure it works, e.g. you can restore a few files or folders that you use to test the backup.

(1) Boot into Safe Mode, this is standard troubleshooting, hold Shift key down when starting up after first shutting down the computer completely. This boot will take much longer than normal, be patient, keep holding Shift until a login screen appears. It should indicate "Safe Boot" in red text. Try running Firefox and Pages while under Safe Boot, which may run fairly slowly as some optimizers and accelerators are off. Do they work now? Then restart normally and retest.

(2) If there are still problems, try creating a new user and log in to that user and test Firefox and Pages. Do they work under a different user?

(3) If computer is still not behaving, download and run Etrecheck with full access granted, this is a safe program that is also a standard troubleshooting tool. Please post the output here using the button below for "Additional text." The output includes no personal or identifying info, but it provides information about the health of your system and what is installed. Sometimes something installed will cause conflicts on the computer. People will look for those when you post the output here.

If neither (1) nor (2) nor (3) provide any relief, the next steps would be to reinstall the MacOS, which normally does not require erasing the disk but it is important to have a good backup before embarking on that. Hopefully this will not be necessary.

P.S. Just noted that someone else posted while I was typing with similar suggestions!

Nov 23, 2021 8:11 AM in response to corbinbdc

Restarted in SafeMode --- and after that, restarting again regularly, and no crashes in 4 days (here's hoping). Thanks for the reply. Had a dickens of a time FINDING it because it was under "my subscriptions" (I never heard of a question being a synonym for a subscription to a magazine or something). Apple has some very strange lexicons. Thanks again.

recent Firefox browser problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.