Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant save Keynote recording to movie

Hi Support Community,

I can't save a recorded Keynote to a movie file. I have done this many times in the recent past. If I save it to 'movie' it records the slideshow without sound. Meanwhile, the sound does not appear to be corrupted when I playback the recorded slideshow. I have made many similar movies in the recent past and have had no issues previously. Please help!

Thanks...

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 8:38 AM

You can try resetting Keynote as follows:

complete all of the following steps in the order listed:

• ensure you have a current backup of all your user files, saved to a separate drive
  • close all applications
  • uninstall Keynote; for this procedure to work, an application removal tool must be used, App Delete has a free trial and works for this procedure. It can be downloaded from the developer’s website here:  App Delete
  • empty the Trash (Finder > Empty Trash)
  • restart the Mac (Apple Menu > Restart);  Immediately after the Apple startup sound, press the shift key on the keyboard, release shift when the Apple icon appears. Start up will take longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair of the start up drive
  • After the Mac is fully powered up, restart the Mac normally:   Apple Menu > Restart
  • reinstall Keynote from the Mac App Store Application
  • Restart the Mac again and test Keynote

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 8:38 AM in response to HPHS2021

You can try resetting Keynote as follows:

complete all of the following steps in the order listed:

• ensure you have a current backup of all your user files, saved to a separate drive
  • close all applications
  • uninstall Keynote; for this procedure to work, an application removal tool must be used, App Delete has a free trial and works for this procedure. It can be downloaded from the developer’s website here:  App Delete
  • empty the Trash (Finder > Empty Trash)
  • restart the Mac (Apple Menu > Restart);  Immediately after the Apple startup sound, press the shift key on the keyboard, release shift when the Apple icon appears. Start up will take longer than usual as the Mac is performing a software repair of the start up drive
  • After the Mac is fully powered up, restart the Mac normally:   Apple Menu > Restart
  • reinstall Keynote from the Mac App Store Application
  • Restart the Mac again and test Keynote

Nov 19, 2021 11:19 AM in response to HPHS2021

Where is the sound files placed in Keynote

Ensure your settings are as follows:

Before making a recorded slideshow, use the following settings:

1 - Inspector > Document > Document; in the Presentation Type dropdown menu, select:   Normal

2 - Animations

Do not use automatic timings for transitions or builds in the presentation:

• Transitions

select all the slides in the Navigator then go to:   Inspector > Animation > Transitions > 

in the Start Transition dropdown menu, select:   On Click

• Builds and Actions 

go to the build order list and set each effect to On Click

3 - when a narration is not being recorded;

unplug a USB connected mic

when using the inbuilt mic, change the record level to zero in system preferences > sound (do not use the mute button as it prevents the sound track from exporting)

Cant save Keynote recording to movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.