Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change MacOS Monterey Login Screen Wallpaper

How do you actually change the wallpaper for the login screen on MacOS Monterey?

I don't like the default purple wallpaper and I can't seem to find any way to change it. I know how you change the desktop wallpaper in the System Preferences, but there doesn't seem to be any way to change the lock screen/ login screen wallpaper.

Has anyone found any workarounds for Monterey?

Many Thanks

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 11:34 AM

if you are the sole user (not even a guest account) AND file vault is turned off you can go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options and set "Display login window as" to "List of users". then your login screen matches your desktop background.

if you are using file vault or have multiple users, the above will not work.  if that's your situation, you will need to wait for apple to address this. it may be worth your time to send feedback directly to apple. Feedback - macOS - Apple

92 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2021 11:34 AM in response to evanstuartgarrett

if you are the sole user (not even a guest account) AND file vault is turned off you can go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options and set "Display login window as" to "List of users". then your login screen matches your desktop background.

if you are using file vault or have multiple users, the above will not work.  if that's your situation, you will need to wait for apple to address this. it may be worth your time to send feedback directly to apple. Feedback - macOS - Apple

Dec 26, 2021 7:27 PM in response to evanstuartgarrett

These steps worked for me on a new 16" MacBook Pro M1 with Montery 12.1

1) System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault > Turn Off FileVault

2) Desktop & Screen Saver > Change background to background of your choosing, or change to another and change back

3) Apple menu > Lock screen >> background should be the one you've chosen

4) Turn FileVault back on

Dec 21, 2021 4:47 PM in response to evanstuartgarrett

Hi everyone.

Was having the same issue, but looked for possible solutions in the web and found these steps that actually fixed it very quickly, even though they were probably meant for a previous version of macOS:

1. Copy the PNG you want as login window wallpaper to the /Library/Caches folder
  2. Make sure the above mentioned file name is set to "com.apple.desktop.admin.png"
  3. Log Out

The new background should be there by then.

Keep the following in mind:

• I'm using Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2021) with the latest version of macOS Monterey (12.1) as of today
  • My current screen resolution is 2056x1329 which is the higher scaled resolution available in Display Settings for the built-in Retina XDR display
  • Try to make sure the image has the same dimensions as a standard macOS static lock screen background - you can use the one in "/Library/Caches/Desktop Pictures/<your UID>/lockscreen.png" as an example
  • FileVault has been turned on since the macbook was initialized so that shouldn't be an issue in this case like it was mentioned in previous posts

Not sure if any of these have an impact in it working, but just sharing for reference. I hope it helps.

Feb 1, 2022 6:29 AM in response to Calum

I took a look at it and noticed that it only works when you're already signed in and you sign out into the Login screen, but not if you restart or power on. There must be a startup process that is picking a default background from somewhere else other than the Library Cache.

I already raised a feature request in the Product Feedback - Apple page, and I think it helps if more people do the same. It only takes 2 minutes. Hope they take it into consideration.

Jan 16, 2022 12:53 AM in response to evanstuartgarrett

I followed @jeffreythefrog's instructions & took @Ronnie DC's advice of toggling between preferences.

I made myself the sole user (turned off guest account that was on), & switch settings to 'Name & Password'. I also went under 'Security & Privacy' & turned off fire vault. I then chose to 'Lock Screen'. My Lock Screen wallpaper finally matched my desktop (home screen)! I then turned fire vault back on.

However, I was greedy & wanted to see if I could also add back my guest account. I logged back in & went back to 'User Group & Settings.' I turned on the guest account & toggled again between 'List of Users' & 'Name & Password.' I then chose 'Lock Screen' again & ta-dah! I now have a pretty lock screen & a guest account.

Thank you so much @jeffreythefrog & @Ronnie DC!!

Dec 24, 2021 2:27 AM in response to 0n3d3r3r

0n3d3r3r wrote:

1. Hi everyone.

Was having the same issue, but looked for possible solutions in the web and found these steps that actually fixed it very quickly, even though they were probably meant for a previous version of macOS:
Copy the PNG you want as login window wallpaper to the /Library/Caches folder
2. Make sure the above mentioned file name is set to "com.apple.desktop.admin.png"
3. Log Out
The new background should be there by then.

Sounded promising, but doesn't work for me I'm afraid (MacBookPro 14", Monterey 12.1).

Jan 2, 2022 3:02 AM in response to eric0101

But does this work when there are multiple users? I'm the administrator of my 13" MacBook Pro and use it with my 2 different user accounts (and have FileVault turned on). It's incredible that the administrator can't select the background.

I think the lock screen is trying to be more hip than feminine - I'm a woman and I hate it, too - installed Monterey the other day and was expecting a beautiful photo of, well, Monterey, and was HORRIFIED to see this psychedelic image ... And there was another similar background on the Safari bookmark grid page which I happily succeeded in returning to black...

So far I've also found a few small annoyances with the widget/notification center thing that pops up on the RHS of the screen... Sort of wish I had stuck with Catalina, or at least just moved up to Big Sur...

Change MacOS Monterey Login Screen Wallpaper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.