Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I change login screen with OS Monterey

Since I upgraded to OS Monterey the login screen after I start my laptop shows the purple shades that are literally called "Monterey"

I really don't like the colors! Looking through system preferences I don't see a way to change the image.

Icon yes, but not the screen? Is there something I'm missing? How can I change the image?

I *really* don't like the colors!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 6:13 AM

I am having a similar problem, except my login/Lock Screen is stuck on the CHROMA RED wallpaper.

When I login, the wallpaper is set to the Monterey. The purple default one. But if I restart my MBP and get to the login, I'm seeing this ugly red one. I tried all the tricks on YouTube, and the ones listed here. Nothing works to change it.

The CHROMA RED, for reference:

Similar questions

157 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2021 6:13 AM in response to angelika241

I am having a similar problem, except my login/Lock Screen is stuck on the CHROMA RED wallpaper.

When I login, the wallpaper is set to the Monterey. The purple default one. But if I restart my MBP and get to the login, I'm seeing this ugly red one. I tried all the tricks on YouTube, and the ones listed here. Nothing works to change it.

The CHROMA RED, for reference:

Jan 15, 2022 2:40 PM in response to lanstrad1

lanstrad1 wrote:

After all, and complain about it myself since Big Sur (same ugly screen, less complained, just different colors….), I admit I concur to what you are raising here. True, it’s minor compared to fact I always need to wait about 9 months so many programs I use finally comply….

Nevertheless, even though “art” is a very subjective matter, if security is involved in that decision to “remove” capability to change that screen, it is the second year Apple is providing such an ugly design. Never wondered about modifying Catalina or previous default screens…

Fair enough. I think because Monterey is fairly new and there are thus still a number of high priority bugs or anomalies that affect actual functionality, or security, something like this that is more of a cosmetic opinion type of issue will probably be very low priority for the Apple engineering groups. However if there is a groundswell of strongly (but politely) worded opinions made known, Apple may take notice. The place to convey that and requests for changes to the current version of the MacOS is:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

I think the Monterey background for the login screen is actually a view of an underwater canyon at Monterey, California. I actually sort of like the colors myself because they are off the beaten track. However some clearly don't like it. Unless you are willing to make your machine a single user, non-File vault machine, I think the workaround is to set the screen saver or screen sleep to be quick, or to log in as a user quickly.

Nov 8, 2021 5:00 PM in response to Chromafield

This worked for me:

• Right-click on your desktop and go for Change Desktop Background.
  • The Desktop & Screen Saver settings open up. Tap on the desired wallpaper, available under Dynamic Desktop.
  • Important: If the background image fails to change, check if a small cloud icon with an arrow pointing downwards is displayed, in the top-right corner of the thumbnail.
  • Fix: The same icon is also displayed next to the wallpaper’s nameClick it and the desktop will start downloading. It will show up as a background as soon as the download completes.

Nov 27, 2021 5:44 AM in response to gkl7

This is not straightforward. I suggest that if someone has a problem with this screen they should (a) read SeptimusHarding above and include in their post whether or not:

• FileVault is turned off
  • Display login window is set to "List of users"
  • You are the only user or there are others
  • Guest User is disabled
  • "Display login in the users & groups preference pane you have window as List of users" checked, and not checked "name and password".

and (b) be clear which screen they are referring to - the "login screen" or "startup screen" as described by showbizmanager above.

Thanks

Guern

Dec 5, 2021 11:48 AM in response to angelika241

If the ugly image appears, it seems to be because no other image is chosen, so the system defaults to the ugly dynamic ones. What I did is below. I know it seems to conflate the login with the lock screen, but it works. My lock screen image is the same as my desktop image. That might help. Just in case, you can have a different lock screen image if you want. That process is below.

Changing the Login Image

1. Open a new FINDER window.
  2. Choose the STARTUP disc under LOCATIONS on the left. (It is whatever you called it during setup.)
  3. Click the main volume in the window. (Again, this is whatever you named it.)
  4. Choose USERS, pick the user folder (whatever you named it), and select the PICTURES folder.
  5. Paste the image desired for the login screen to this PICTURES folder.
  6. Close all windows.
  7. Right click DESKTOP and choose CHANGE DESKTOP BACKGROUND.
  8. Under FOLDERS on the left choose PICTURES and click the file just copied.

Note: If you do not want a photo, you can just choose a color from the COLOR. Either way, it seems important to actively click something so that there is a blue selection frame around it. Choosing the CUSTOM COLOR option will give you a DESKTOP BACKGROUND, but it does not seem to affect the LOGIN SCREEN.

9. Test it by logging out.

Changing the Lock Screen Image

This process is documented elsewhere in the thread, but...

1. Open a new FINDER window.
  2. Choose the STARTUP disc name under LOCATIONS on the left. (It is whatever you called it during setup.)
  3. Choose main volume in the window. (Again, this is whatever you named it.)
  4. Choose the LIBRARY FOLDER and then CACHES, DESKTOP PICTURES, and then the folder with the long alphanumeric name.
  5. Paste the photo for the lock screen in there. Make sure it is named "lockscreen.png."

Note: Remove all other images from the folder except for lockscreen.png. Otherwise, nothing will change. Also, sometimes, it may require a restart to complete wipe any of the cached information.

Sep 22, 2022 1:26 AM in response to jjcliff

This is my exact issue.

From System Preferences I have changed;

• Desktop Picture
  • Lock Screen
  • Lock Screen on startup (FAILED)

But cannot change the Lock Screen on startup. No other users are on this. MacBook Pro. I would have expected the System Preferences to change the theme across the board. Its ridiculous that it does not do this.

Can I change login screen with OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.