Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stretched external display on iPad Pro

I connected my 12.9” iPad Pro 2020 to a Samsung ultrawide monitor using a USB-C to HDMI cable. The display is stretched, as shown in the image below. I can’t see any settings on the monitor that would change this. Anyone have any tips for preventing the stretching? I realise I will have even bigger black bars on each side of the screen.

(There is a DisplayLink dock in the bottom of the picture but I’m not currently using that to connect the iPad.)

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 2:33 AM

Your monitor is definitely the culprit.

In mirroring your iPad display to an external monitor, the iPad will output an image preserving its native screen aspect ratio.

Some monitors have settings that attempt to “stretch” the display content to match the aspect ratio of the display - this being exaggerated with your Ultrawide monitor. This feature, where present, can introduce distortion (e.g., “people” develop strange proportions - such as short and wide).

If you can’t find a setting on your monitor to disable this feature, them you’re out of luck. At best, you will experience black bars at left and right. At worst, you’re going to see black bars.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2021 2:33 AM in response to adrianclark1

Your monitor is definitely the culprit.

In mirroring your iPad display to an external monitor, the iPad will output an image preserving its native screen aspect ratio.

Some monitors have settings that attempt to “stretch” the display content to match the aspect ratio of the display - this being exaggerated with your Ultrawide monitor. This feature, where present, can introduce distortion (e.g., “people” develop strange proportions - such as short and wide).

If you can’t find a setting on your monitor to disable this feature, them you’re out of luck. At best, you will experience black bars at left and right. At worst, you’re going to see black bars.

Stretched external display on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.