Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad says I have the latest version of iTunes and clearly I do not.

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 6:57 AM

Well then you are correct. The latest version of iTunes would be the version in iOS 15 which unfortunately you cannot update to. What you are experiencing is normal behavior. Some apps, when updated, require newer versions of iOS and if you cannot update to that version, you can’t use the apps. It is up to the app developers if they want to continue to support older versions of apps.

If you have the original iPad Air as your profile line indicates, iOS 12.5.5 is as high as you can go. If you want to run a newer version of iOS, you need to purchase a newer device.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2021 6:57 AM in response to MichaelJLuke

Well then you are correct. The latest version of iTunes would be the version in iOS 15 which unfortunately you cannot update to. What you are experiencing is normal behavior. Some apps, when updated, require newer versions of iOS and if you cannot update to that version, you can’t use the apps. It is up to the app developers if they want to continue to support older versions of apps.

If you have the original iPad Air as your profile line indicates, iOS 12.5.5 is as high as you can go. If you want to run a newer version of iOS, you need to purchase a newer device.

Nov 20, 2021 5:48 AM in response to MichaelJLuke

MichaelJLuke wrote:

And what are you basing that on? Your claim is rather cryptic.

iTunes on the iPad is a link to the iTunes Store where you purchase music, movies and videos. If you are truly running iOS 12, then you aren’t running the most up to date version of iTunes because that would be included in the iOS 15 update. iTunes is updated when the iOS is updated and can’t be updated as a standalone app.

Nov 20, 2021 6:47 AM in response to Demo

Look, I’m just trying to do some Christmas shopping. I try and update apps to stores I’ve been using for years on here and they say I’m supposed to be on at least iOS 13. I check with my settings and it says 12.5.5 and that I have the latest version (for months now). I tether to my pc to hopefully install the latest version from iTunes and after six hours of backup it says I have the latest version at 12.5.5 again. Meanwhile, I can’t use these apps. Thanks for your response.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.