Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My steps are not being counted correctly

It seems I am walking with the phone in my pocket but it is not counting all my steps. Last week I went for a walk and totaled 2200 steps. This week I did the same walk and only totaled 1400 steps …. Is there something I can do?

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 11:20 AM

Hello Fenway56,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities and for reviewing the related article Use the Health app on your iPhone or iPod touch. Getting an accurate reading for your steps is important, and we'd like to provide you with some tips that might help.

There might be some factors contributing to the varied step count from week to week, like your stride, or the way you're carrying your iPhone in your pocket. However, you can manually enter your steps in the Health app by tapping on Browse > Activity > Steps. The section "Add information about your health" in the related article above has a visual guide.

From there, consider whether steps was ever consistent from week to week after the same walk in the past. If so, there are a couple steps you can take to isolate the behavior even further. For instance, restarting your iPhone and ensuring it's fully updated are great ways to be sure that the device refreshes and has any current fixes. If an update is available, we recommend having a current back up of your data to iCloud or to a computer.

Restart your iPhone

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If this concern continues after taking the steps above, our resolution is to contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: 

Contacts Apple Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 11:20 AM in response to Fenway56

Hello Fenway56,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities and for reviewing the related article Use the Health app on your iPhone or iPod touch. Getting an accurate reading for your steps is important, and we'd like to provide you with some tips that might help.

There might be some factors contributing to the varied step count from week to week, like your stride, or the way you're carrying your iPhone in your pocket. However, you can manually enter your steps in the Health app by tapping on Browse > Activity > Steps. The section "Add information about your health" in the related article above has a visual guide.

From there, consider whether steps was ever consistent from week to week after the same walk in the past. If so, there are a couple steps you can take to isolate the behavior even further. For instance, restarting your iPhone and ensuring it's fully updated are great ways to be sure that the device refreshes and has any current fixes. If an update is available, we recommend having a current back up of your data to iCloud or to a computer.

Restart your iPhone

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If this concern continues after taking the steps above, our resolution is to contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: 

Contacts Apple Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

My steps are not being counted correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.