Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage almost full, stuck at apple logo on boot. Error 1110 trying to update OS. Help recover data.

I have an iPhone XS Max that had most of the memory used. I opened Instagram and it started being glitchy and lagging while running. I closed out all the apps open and started to clear out pictures for more storage. The phone was still being glitchy with apps. I deleted more pictures and went to reboot for a fresh start. The phone never made it past the apple logo on boot. Really frustrating to potentially lose all my data for simply using my phone.

Trying to resolve the issue and get my phone back, I connected the phone to my computer and put it in recovery mode (How to Fix an iPhone in a Boot Loop - User Tip). I didn't want to lose any data on the phone, so I only wanted to use the "Update" option which was available since I believe I was running 14.8 on the phone. Trying to update to 15.1, I got "Unknown error 1110". Which I believe I read somewhere to be a error related to not having enough storage available on the phone to install the OS.

I took the phone to an Apple store and spent some time with a Genius. They attempted the same things I had done with the same results unfortunately.

Apple please provide a solution to this issue so I don't lose all of my data, simply for using my phone. Obviously I now have forked over the money to have a larger iCloud for backups and data, but that doesn't help my current situation. Proposed solution - lightweight or headless OS that allows for connection to phone from a computer to verify user and retrieve and manage data on the phone. This would allow someone to make room for the latest OS or just reset the phone and put the data they want back on it.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 1:24 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 22, 2021 5:00 PM in response to JimmyNeedyHelp

I've taken the phone to the Genius Bar and also talked with Apple technical support on the phone. The only solution Apple is able to provide at the moment is to reset the phone to verify the hardware is still good and get the latest OS (15.1) on the phone. Still holding out, as I don't want to lose all the data. Still upset that the phone is essentially bricked from rebooting it after clearing off a data to free up space on it.

I have taken the phone to multiple phone repair and recovery shops in town. Since the phone is stuck in a boot loop and doesn't get to a stable state, they can't offer any of their solutions for data extraction.

Now to look into a data recovery solution that sacrifices the phone to get the memory. Any suggestions?

Dec 10, 2021 12:59 PM in response to JimmyNeedyHelp

My 12 pro bricked with the error 1110, i went to the apple store and the only solution they provided is to restore and wipe out all the data. I am surprised apple did not document and equip their genius bar members with what the error code means. Being an apple/iphone user for more than a decade, I can clearly see the quality of apple products degrading.

FIX IT FAST!

Storage almost full, stuck at apple logo on boot. Error 1110 trying to update OS. Help recover data.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.