Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone takes videos instead of pictures in night mode

Whenever I take pictures at night on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, nightmode turns on and takes a short 1-2 second video that looks like a boomerang instead of a picture.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 6:26 PM

Did you try restarting the phone as I suggested? With Live Photo turned off, as you do, and the camera set to Photo, unless there is something wrong with your iOS, then it cannot shoot a 2 hundreths of a second video. Besides that, you do realize how quick .02 seconds is. I suggest that you use this to make a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store near you to have someone from Apple take a look at that device. Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2021 6:26 PM in response to lana43083

Did you try restarting the phone as I suggested? With Live Photo turned off, as you do, and the camera set to Photo, unless there is something wrong with your iOS, then it cannot shoot a 2 hundreths of a second video. Besides that, you do realize how quick .02 seconds is. I suggest that you use this to make a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store near you to have someone from Apple take a look at that device. Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Nov 20, 2021 4:08 PM in response to lana43083

The iPhone cannot take a video in Night Mode. When you see the timer, that is how long the shutter stays open when taking the photo to get extra light on the sensor, and you have to keep the device still. If you check what you took, it is not a video. If you are seeing a smear, then that is because you moved. If you have Live Photo turned on, you will take a short video, but the device cannot be in Live Photo and Night Mode at the same time.

Phone takes videos instead of pictures in night mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.