Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PLEASE Help: Since upgrading to macOS Monterey (now 12.0.1)- Mail quits unexpectedly.

Since upgrading to macOS Monterey (now 12.0.1)- Mail quits unexpectedly.

I have searched support for helpful articles and information, but there aren't many specific to macOS Monterey or that have actually been helpful. (But it sure would be nice Apple could offer users of this Community more robust search options like searching for articles by macOS version and with a date range and more robust filters!)

The problem:

* Official Error Message (when Mail crashes): "Mail quit unexpectedly"

Since upgrading to Monterey, I can open Mail (on my 27" iMac 2017). As it opens and starts to load and download mail, it crashes. However, it also crashes if I close the app, deactivate the different mail accounts and then re-launch Mail.

Following the advice of several, cookie-cutter repeat Support articles- I have:

• Removed Avast Antivirus software (Avast Premium Security, which remains installed on my MacBook Air- which isn't having this issue at all.)
  • Deactivated accounts (Mail still crashes)
  • Rebuilt mailboxes (still crashes)
  • Reboot Mac into Safe Mode (***Mail works***), but then back into normal mode (Mail Crashes)
  • Launched Mail while holding down "Shift" key (supposedly launching app in safe mode: (Mail Crashes)
  • Followed the advice of several [likely dated] Community support articles re: deleting/removing preferences files: Mail still crashes.
  • Re-installed macOS Monterey (TWICE): Mail still crashes. (One of those re-installs- the first- was a complete wipe of my system and restoring from Time Capsule. Mail still crashed & I wish I could re-install Mail (without having to reinstall entire OS) so I could rule out any potential for corrupt or problematic files in Time Capsule backups. (And if re-installing Mail this way is an option, please share!)
  • And, of course, interspersed with each of this, I have run Disk Utility and fixed any errors- but there aren't usually any obvious errors that seem related to Mail crashing.

(FYI: "Mail crashes" is shorthand for "Mail quit unexpectedly"- the official error message which appears in each of the aforementioned scenarios, if applicable.)

So... How do I go about resolving this? I keep submitting and saving crash reports- and Mail works fine on my MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad- so that's what I've been using in the interim, but this is a royal PITA.

Any non-canned responses would be greatly appreciated. I should mention I also have EtreCheckPro (and just downloaded 6.5.5) but am not very familiar with the app yet.

Mahalo (thank you)!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 2:03 AM

yaskota wrote:

• Since upgrading to macOS Monterey (now 12.0.1)- Mail quits unexpectedly.

I have searched support for helpful articles and information, but there aren't many specific to macOS Monterey or that have actually been helpful. (But it sure would be nice Apple could offer users of this Community more robust search options like searching for articles by macOS version and with a date range and more robust filters!)

The problem:

Since upgrading to Monterey, I can open Mail (on my 27" iMac 2017). As it opens and starts to load and download mail, it crashes. However, it also crashes if I close the app, deactivate the different mail accounts and then re-launch Mail.

Removed Avast Antivirus software (Avast Premium Security, which remains installed on my MacBook Air- which isn't having this issue at all.)
Deactivated accounts (Mail still crashes• )
Rebuilt mailboxes (still crashes• )
Reboot Mac into Safe Mode (***Mail works***), but then back into normal mode (Mail Crashes• )
Launched Mail while holding down "Shift" key (supposedly launching app in safe mode: (Mail Crashes• )
Followed the advice of several [likely dated] Community support articles re: deleting/removing preferences files: Mail still crashes• .
Re-installed macOS Monterey (TWICE): Mail still crashes. (One of those re-installs- the first- was a complete wipe of my system and restoring from Time Capsule. Mail still crashed & • I wish I could re-install Mail (without having to reinstall entire OS) so I could rule out any potential for corrupt or problematic files in Time Capsule backups. (And if re-installing Mail this way is an option, please share!)
• And, of course, interspersed with each of this, I have run Disk Utility and fixed any errors- but there aren't usually any obvious errors that seem related to Mail crashing.

(FYI: "Mail crashes" is shorthand for "Mail quit unexpectedly"- the official error message which appears in each of the aforementioned scenarios, if applicable.)

So... How do I go about resolving this? I keep submitting and saving crash reports- and Mail works fine on my MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad- so that's what I've been using in the interim, but this is a royal PITA.

Any non-canned responses would be greatly appreciated. I should mention I also have EtreCheckPro (and just downloaded 6.5.5) but am not very familiar with the app yet.

Mahalo (thank you)!

The issue, IMHO, is directly related to Restore from Time Capsule. Although one has reinstated Monterey various times and even a Wipe and Clean Installation was done, whatever Issues existed in the Time Capsule were brought back when it was Restore.

This effective negated the Pristine and Virginal Installation of Monterey.

The solution would to Wipe and Clean install Monterey and only Restore personal data and nothing more.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 2:03 AM in response to yaskota

yaskota wrote:

• Since upgrading to macOS Monterey (now 12.0.1)- Mail quits unexpectedly.

The problem:

Removed Avast Antivirus software (Avast Premium Security, which remains installed on my MacBook Air- which isn't having this issue at all.)
Deactivated accounts (Mail still crashes• )
Rebuilt mailboxes (still crashes• )
Reboot Mac into Safe Mode (***Mail works***), but then back into normal mode (Mail Crashes• )
Launched Mail while holding down "Shift" key (supposedly launching app in safe mode: (Mail Crashes• )
Followed the advice of several [likely dated] Community support articles re: deleting/removing preferences files: Mail still crashes• .
Re-installed macOS Monterey (TWICE): Mail still crashes. (One of those re-installs- the first- was a complete wipe of my system and restoring from Time Capsule. Mail still crashed & • I wish I could re-install Mail (without having to reinstall entire OS) so I could rule out any potential for corrupt or problematic files in Time Capsule backups. (And if re-installing Mail this way is an option, please share!)

Mahalo (thank you)!

The issue, IMHO, is directly related to Restore from Time Capsule. Although one has reinstated Monterey various times and even a Wipe and Clean Installation was done, whatever Issues existed in the Time Capsule were brought back when it was Restore.

This effective negated the Pristine and Virginal Installation of Monterey.

The solution would to Wipe and Clean install Monterey and only Restore personal data and nothing more.

PLEASE Help: Since upgrading to macOS Monterey (now 12.0.1)- Mail quits unexpectedly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.