Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Mail app crashes repeatedly, M1 Max and Intel iMac Pro

After the most recent macOS Monterey upgrade the Apple Mail app on both my iMac Pro and my MacBook Pro M1 Max is crashing (quitting unexpectedly) randomly. After launch Mail will crash after a minute or so, to it might not crash for more than 15 minutes, but it always crashes unexpectedly. At the time of the crash the Mail app is not the app with focus, in fact the Mail app has even crashed when the system is in screen saver state with no active user on the system at all.

Every crash is identical with the following error indicator "Trying to recursively lock an os_unfair_lock".

I have re-installed the latest macOS from the App Store with no change in behavior.

Anybody else seeing this?

Process: Mail [19013]

Path: /System/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail

Identifier: com.apple.mail

Version: 15.0 (3693.20.0.1.32)

Build Info: Mail_App-3693020000001032~42

Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [1]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-11-28 19:40:09.5585 -0800

OS Version: macOS 12.0.1 (21A559)

Report Version: 12

Time Awake Since Boot: 200000 seconds

Time Since Wake: 5650 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 6 Dispatch queue: com.apple.network.connections

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x00000001947af08c

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 5 Trace/BPT trap: 5

Terminating Process: exc handler [19013]

Application Specific Information:

BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBPLATFORM: Trying to recursively lock an os_unfair_lock

Abort Cause 153667

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 1:48 AM

Does the same issue present while booting in to Safe Mode ?

Similar questions

10 replies

Jan 2, 2022 10:55 AM in response to rockrimmon

You don't leave it in Safe Mode. The act of booting into save mode does the following;

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

So just boot into safe mode and reboot normally. Then see if the problem persists or not.

Dec 2, 2021 7:37 PM in response to rockrimmon

I also have had this issue since upgrading to Monterey on my 2019 16in MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago. If I leave Mail open, it is a certainty that the app will crash with the exact same error report as OP provided, except the abort cause is different.

Application Specific Information:
BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBPLATFORM: Trying to recursively lock an os_unfair_lock
Abort Cause 320123

Inevitably, I do leave the Mail app open as a course of habit--and as such, I experience ten or more crashes per day depending on how much I'm using my laptop.

I have not booted into Safe Mode yet. That said: if Mail doesn't crash repeatedly in Safe Mode, I guess that is good--except I still won't know what's causing the repeated crashes, correct?

OP: have you had any success in identifying the root cause of the crashes?

Jan 2, 2022 7:07 AM in response to rockrimmon

Sam issue here. It will attempt to start downloading emails, then stop, then pinwheel. I have deleted my accounts and re-added them to the app to no avail.

This is one of the most fundamental apps on the platform. I wold think that they would have this issue resolved ASAP, but it is January and the post was over a month ago.

Jan 2, 2022 10:57 AM in response to rockrimmon

rockrimmon wrote:

I am the OP. I have not booted into safe mode, these are production machines, I can’t boot into safe mode and leave the machine sitting for hours waiting to see if the problem occurs in safe mode.

I finally gave up and installed a third party mail app that has not crashed once.

The purpose of Safe Mode here is to help diagnose the issue as Safe Mode disables non-Apple extensions that are installed. Since this issue is not seen with the vast majority of Mac users, Safe Mode can help determine if something is installed that conflicts.

Do all users experience the issue, or is it just one user?

You can also download and run Etrecheck and post the output here using the Additional Text button below (looks like a sheet of paper with one corner folded). The best results are obtained by granting Etrecheck full access to the computer. It anonymizes the output so no personal info is shown.

Monterey Mail app crashes repeatedly, M1 Max and Intel iMac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.